What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combination Apps on the Demise?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just read a review of a new email app called Airmail. It looked interesting, so I did an app store search on my iPro. Zilch! Then I realized that under iOS 9.2 I have only two choices: iPad only and iPhone only.

What has happened to what they called "universal" apps (or somesuch---a sorta' misleading name to be sure.)

Will that "iPhone only" app work on my iPad ir not? In the App Store description, deeply imbedded, it says it is "compatible with" the iPad. But all the detailed description deals only with the iPhone.

Does anyone have an insight on this general issue?

Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The app should work with the iPad, just as it does on the iPhone. The user interface will be as it is on the iPhone, not optimized for the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Universal apps will show up in both search modes; iPhone Only and iPad Only. If an app is Universal you will see a small + mark in the Buy/Get/Open button for that app in the App Store.

The four types of apps are:

iPad Only apps that will run only on an iPad. Few, but they exist, and are usually apps that would not work well on small iPhone screens. They won't show up in an iPhone Only search.

iPhone Only apps that will run on an iPad, but with an iPhone's interface. Won't show up in an iPad Only search.

Truely iPhone Only apps that will not run on the iPad. You wont' even be able to download them on an iPad (or iPod Touches). These usally have phone specific features, like making phone calls.

Universal apps, which can be run on any device, and have interfaces designed for each device they run on (though not always a good one). These will show up no matter what search mode you use.

Most reactions