What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning The Screen?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never clean the screen with any sort of cleaning solvent. Just wipe with a soft cloth if necessary.

Here are Apples instructions about cleaning the screen:

Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad's screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Milliebert said:
I guess just when you think it does. I don't clean mi e at all when it's got the screen protector on as it doesn't seem to get greased up. But when it has no protection, I wipe it once a day with a microfibre cloth that I bought from the retailer where I bought the iPad.

How do you get on with the stylus? I thought about getting one, but not sure how much I'd use it.

I bought a Boxwave one specifically to use on the Brushes app. While I didn't get on too well with the app, I quite like the stylus for general use. I have to use my fingers though, two of them, to scroll through framed content on websites - quite tricky to do with fingers but impossible with a stylus. If you get a Boxwave don't worry too much over its colour. With use, in time it rubs off and reveals the brassy metal underneath!

Yes, I only notice marks on the screen when it's off, when it's on I can't see them. As I don't use it when it's off I don't think to clean it. :D

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Noooooo! Saliva contains amylase, a chemical which breaks stuff down. I wouldn't do that on these screens. Warm breath and a microfibre cloth does the trick!

Yes, I would definitely agree, although grandma used to clean our faces spitting on a handkerchief - yuk, we hated it! :D

Salivary amylase in saliva is an enzyme that starts breaking down carbohydrates in the mouth; saliva is also a mildly alkaline solution (not quite lye but you get the picture); finally, the mouth is just full of bacteria that obviously work on food (i.e. cause of bad breath), so I cannot imagine leaving that material on the iPad screen and what might happen to the oleophobic layer? Sounds like a controlled experiment would need to be done! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use spray windex on a paper towel and use that. I haven't had any problems yet. Also I have a 3 year square trade warranty on it, so I'm not concerned about it getting damaged.

Well, Windex contains ammonia and detergents, perfect for dissolving the oleophobic coating on the iPad screen, but won't harm the glass! I'll stick to my advice at the beginning of this thread; once the coating is reduced or gone the problem w/ fingerprints & smudging will likely just worsen, but just my opinion? Cheers - :)

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if the explosion of iPads is raising the incidence of virus and other bodily carried bacteria being passed between people :)

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guthrien said:
I wonder if the explosion of iPads is raising the incidence of virus and other bodily carried bacteria being passed between people :)

Er... No! That would involve other people being able to touch my device, and apart from my son, that does not happen!!! Lol x

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's not just iPads. Look at this about cell phones:

Study: 1 in 6 UK cell phones is contaminated with fecal matter - CNN.com

I used to do computer repair and this was a big topic to us. We were always touching other peoples laptop keyboards that may have all kinds of "stuff" on them. A day may come that repair people will put on medical gloves before starting work.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts