What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charlotte and Environs

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

For a nice half-day trip from Charlotte, just a 45-minute drive, a visit to the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is a pleasant diversion from the 'hustle and bustle' of a large city. The garden is located on a peninsula near Lake Wylie (see maps). The Pavilion welcomes visitors and is a beautiful building w/ a magnificent dome and a Garden Shop - believe a restaurant is planned for the future. The grounds are beautifully landscaped w/ plenty of sites to see and a wide variety of plants (see overviews and diagrams). The Conservatory is a must visit - and weddings are popular. There is an admission fee, so check the rates on the previous link given. We've made just one visit and not during the best time of the year, SO a must return for us - more information in the quotes. Dave :)

View attachment 84744 View attachment 84745 View attachment 84746 View attachment 84747 View attachment 84748 View attachment 84749 View attachment 84750 View attachment 84751 View attachment 84752 View attachment 84753 View attachment 84754 View attachment 84755 View attachment 84756 View attachment 84757 View attachment 84758
Lovely pace in the spring

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
North Carolina Music Hall of Fame

The NC Music HOF was founded in 1994 in Thomasville, NC, but relocated to Kannapolis, first in an historic jail, then into the much larger building containing the Curb Music and Motorsports museums in 2014. Induction criteria are broad and include musicians, singers, producers, and other non-musical related professions. Much more information given in the last three quotes below.

With the new 2018 inductees, there are just over 100 members in the NCMHOF - many are not known to me, but there are dozens of famous and important country and bluegrass musicians, country and popular singers, and a number of important jazz musicians - the first quote below is my modest list from the Wiki link of those members who others likely know - I own recordings of most. The pics simply highlight some of these major performers (of course, in my mind) - I was not expecting much driving in to park but was pleasantly surprised - this set of museums is worth a visit! Dave :)

View attachment 84649View attachment 84650View attachment 84651View attachment 84652View attachment 84653View attachment 84654View attachment 84655View attachment 84656View attachment 84657View attachment 84658View attachment 84659View attachment 84660View attachment 84661View attachment 84662View attachment 84663View attachment 84664View attachment 84665View attachment 84666View attachment 84667View attachment 84668
Fun to see all the musicians--especially their costumes

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Michael Sherrill - North Carolina Artist - Mint Museum Retrospective

Michael Sherrill was born in Charlotte and made the NC mountains his home since 1974 - be began as a humble potter but evolved into an extraordinary multi-media artist creating varied works from pottery with oriental and Native American influences, large sculptural structures, and wonderful nature works combining metal, ceramics, and glass. All pics of the art works are my own - Susan and I were really 'bowled over' by the versatility and artistry of Sherrill - if you are reading this post and can travel or live in Charlotte, then do not miss this exhibit. Dave :)

View attachment 84594 View attachment 84595 View attachment 84596 View attachment 84597 View attachment 84598 View attachment 84599 View attachment 84600 View attachment 84601 View attachment 84602 View attachment 84603 View attachment 84604 View attachment 84605 View attachment 84606 View attachment 84607
Impressive, versatile artist. Doesn’t he look a bit like Randy Newman?

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Charlotte - North Carolina's Largest City - Introduction

Charlotte Town was incorporated in November 1768 and named after Charlotte, the Queen of England and wife of George III; the city is located in Mecklenburg County, the queen's German homeland. During the Southern Campaign of the Revolutionary War, Cornwallis controlled the town for a brief time and plaques on the downtown streets note his presence - see quotes for more information.

Geographically, the city is located in the southern Piedmont area of the state near the SC border and covers just over 300 square in area (see link in quotes) - there are numerous neighborhoods, especially of ethnic and racial origin (we would love to find a tour that explores this diversity); one of the most important central areas is known as 'Uptown', basically within the 277 loop (see maps) - this is the locale that we spend nearly all of our time when visiting, often to see a performance at the Blumenthal Center - pics below show the beautiful city skyline along w/ two of the major sports venues - our favorite hotel is the Ritz-Carlton on Trade Street near Tryon Street, the historic crossroads of the town; however, the Westin Hotel is a modern beautiful 4-diamond property and is also conveniently located to museums and restaurants - Dave :)

View attachment 84546 View attachment 84547 View attachment 84548 View attachment 84549 View attachment 84550 View attachment 84551 View attachment 84552 View attachment 84553
Impressive architecture!

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mint Museum Uptown Incorporating the Mint Museum of Craft + Design

Our second stop was the Mint Museum Uptown which opened in 2010 - much houses the collections of glass, ceramics, wood, and other media from the Mint Museum of Craft + Design, which was located further Uptown near the Discovery Place and the Blumenthal Center, but relocated to the new position. The building is another beautiful structure with a large gift shop at street level; there is a nice cafeteria which we had lunch on a previous visit. The pics below of the inside are my own and represents just a sampling of the many items to see inside the museum. There was a special retrospective exhibit of Michael Sherrill which I'll devote the next post. Dave :)

View attachment 84584 View attachment 84585 View attachment 84586 View attachment 84587 View attachment 84588 View attachment 84589 View attachment 84590 View attachment 84591 View attachment 84592 View attachment 84593
Small but well-curated museums

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

For a nice half-day trip from Charlotte, just a 45-minute drive, a visit to the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is a pleasant diversion from the 'hustle and bustle' of a large city. The garden is located on a peninsula near Lake Wylie (see maps). The Pavilion welcomes visitors and is a beautiful building w/ a magnificent dome and a Garden Shop - believe a restaurant is planned for the future. The grounds are beautifully landscaped w/ plenty of sites to see and a wide variety of plants (see overviews and diagrams). The Conservatory is a must visit - and weddings are popular. There is an admission fee, so check the rates on the previous link given. We've made just one visit and not during the best time of the year, SO a must return for us - more information in the quotes. Dave :)

View attachment 84744 View attachment 84745 View attachment 84746 View attachment 84747 View attachment 84748 View attachment 84749 View attachment 84750 View attachment 84751 View attachment 84752 View attachment 84753 View attachment 84754 View attachment 84755 View attachment 84756 View attachment 84757 View attachment 84758
It looks like a wonderful place to visit.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
American Revolutionary War Devotees - King's Mountain & Cowpens are near Charlotte!

For those interested in the American Revolutionary War, like me - then there are two National Battlefields located in South Carolina just over the NC state border within a 45 minute & 1 hour drive from Charlotte - below is a post I left in the 'This Day in History' thread on October 17, 2017 which briefly discusses the Battle of King's Mountain and the Battle of Cowpens three months later; these were important British defeats in Cornwallis' 'Southern Campaign' which delayed his advance into North Carolina; suffering further losses and delays at the Battle of Guilford Court House in March 1781; he was finally penned up in Yorktown, Virginia on the coast where a combination of Washington's troops and French land and sea forces led to Cornwallis' surrender on October 19, 1781, effectively ending the Revolution, although the Treaty of Paris was not signed until two years later. Dave :)

Battle of King's Mountain October 7, 1780 - Patriot Victory & Beginning of Cornwallis' Downfall!

Today in 1780, the Battle of King's Mountain (located in South Carolina now, despite the first quote), basically a 'civil war' conflict between American patriots & loyalists, the latter under the leadership of Major Patrick Ferguson (in the pic, he is listed as 'Colonel' which was a brevet promotion, I believe) - he was killed in the battle at 36 years of age; his death and the losing conflict were major blows to General Cornwallis.

In January 1781, the Battle of Cowpens occurred nearby, also in South Carolina (both places near the North Carolina border) (see map & description in pic); there General Daniel Morgan defeated British Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton - yet another blow to Cornwallis - the next blow came at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse (near me in present day Greensboro) - technically a British victory w/ the retreat of Nathanael Greene, but a costly one in men for Cornwallis, who then headed into Virginia to Yorktown, and we all know what happened there. King's Mountain & Cowpens are west of Charlotte and just off I-85, a 2-hour drive for us. Dave :)

Patriot militia under Colonel William Campbell defeat Loyalist militia under Major Patrick Ferguson at the Battle of King’s Mountain in North Carolina near the border South Carolina, on this day in 1780. Major Ferguson’s force, made up mostly of frontier Loyalists from South Carolina, was the western wing of General Charles Cornwallis’ invasion force tasked with protecting Loyalist outposts from attacks by Patriots led by Isaac Shelby, Elijah Clark and Charles McDowell. Ferguson had declared that the Patriots could choose to lay down their arms or see him “lay waste to their country with fire and sword.” Believing they could prevent Ferguson from making good on his threat, 1,000 Patriot militiamen gathered in the Carolina backcountry, including Davy Crockett’s father, John. Learning of the Patriot force from a deserter, Ferguson positioned his Loyalists in defense of a rocky, treeless ridge named King’s Mountain. (Source)

The Patriots charged the hillside multiple times, demonstrating lethal marksmanship against the surrounded Loyalists. Unwilling to surrender, Ferguson led a suicidal charge down the mountain and was cut down in a hail of bullets. After his death, some of his men tried to surrender, but they were slaughtered by the Patriot frontiersmen, who wanted revenge for British Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton’s cruelty to surrendering prisoners at Waxhaws on the Carolina border on May 29, 1780. The Loyalists suffered 157 killed, 163 wounded and 698 captured, while Campbell’s force suffered just 28 killed and 60 wounded. The Patriot success was the first against the British in the South, and convinced General Cornwallis to stop his march through the territory. Of the 2,000 men that fought for both sides at the Battle of King’s Mountain, 1,900 were born on American soil. Only Ferguson and 100 of his personally trained Redcoats were Britons. (Source)
View attachment 79780 View attachment 79781 View attachment 79782 View attachment 79783 View attachment 79784 View attachment 79785

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
North Carolina Moonshine

Earlier in this thread, I posted about moonshining in North Carolina and the relationship to the development of NASCAR race driving - not being an 'expert' on the subject, I purchased the book (first pic below): North Carolina Moonshine - An Illicit History by Frank Stephenson, Jr. & Barbara Nichols Mulder - Stephenson is an eastern NC native whose father was a deputy sheriff responsible for discovery illegal stills; his son went along on dozens of these raids and relates many personal stories in the book, which was a fun read.

The history of making illegal whiskey in North Carolina (and adjacent states) dates back to pre-colonial times and is complex, so all that I can do in a short post is to relate a few facts about some of the places and persons involved, especially in the mid-20th century - so just a few anecdotes - also, for an excellent short discussion of the topic check HERE:

Alvin Sawyer (died in 2003) - eastern NC moonshine maker and bootlegger around the Dismal Swamp - claimed to be the 'Moonshine King' of the eastern part of the state - operated for decades.

Buffalo City, NC (LINK) - was located in Dare County (near the Outer Banks) and claimed to be the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' - now a ghost town of what remains.

Percy Flowers (1903-1982) - another claimed 'King of the Moonshiners'; "He operated an illegal liquor production facility on his 5,000-acre farm in Johnston County, North Carolina during the 1950s and 1960s. He is reputed to have earned $1million per year in untaxed revenue through this endeavor." (from LINK).

Wilkes County (45 min drive west for us) - also claimed the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' - Junior Johnson was a native son (see previous post on race car driving).

Popcorn Sutton - born in Maggie Valley (near Asheville in the western mountains of the state) - "He wrote a self-published autobiographical guide to moonshining production, self-produced a home video depicting his moonshining activities, and was later the subject of several documentaries, including one that received a Regional Emmy Award." (from LINK) - below are several YouTube videos (one short and the other long - I've seen both). Dave :)

Moonshine_1.png
Moonshine_2.jpg
Moonshine_3.jpg
Moonshine_4.jpg
Moonshine_5.png
Moonshine_6.png
Moonshine_7.jpg
Moonshine_8.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
North Carolina Moonshine

Earlier in this thread, I posted about moonshining in North Carolina and the relationship to the development of NASCAR race driving - not being an 'expert' on the subject, I purchased the book (first pic below): North Carolina Moonshine - An Illicit History by Frank Stephenson, Jr. & Barbara Nichols Mulder - Stephenson is an eastern NC native whose father was a deputy sheriff responsible for discovery illegal stills; his son went along on dozens of these raids and relates many personal stories in the book, which was a fun read.

The history of making illegal whiskey in North Carolina (and adjacent states) dates back to pre-colonial times and is complex, so all that I can do in a short post is to relate a few facts about some of the places and persons involved, especially in the mid-20th century - so just a few anecdotes - also, for an excellent short discussion of the topic check HERE:

Alvin Sawyer (died in 2003) - eastern NC moonshine maker and bootlegger around the Dismal Swamp - claimed to be the 'Moonshine King' of the eastern part of the state - operated for decades.

Buffalo City, NC (LINK) - was located in Dare County (near the Outer Banks) and claimed to be the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' - now a ghost town of what remains.

Percy Flowers (1903-1982) - another claimed 'King of the Moonshiners'; "He operated an illegal liquor production facility on his 5,000-acre farm in Johnston County, North Carolina during the 1950s and 1960s. He is reputed to have earned $1million per year in untaxed revenue through this endeavor." (from LINK).

Wilkes County (45 min drive west for us) - also claimed the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' - Junior Johnson was a native son (see previous post on race car driving).

Popcorn Sutton - born in Maggie Valley (near Asheville in the western mountains of the state) - "He wrote a self-published autobiographical guide to moonshining production, self-produced a home video depicting his moonshining activities, and was later the subject of several documentaries, including one that received a Regional Emmy Award." (from LINK) - below are several YouTube videos (one short and the other long - I've seen both). Dave :)

View attachment 84774 View attachment 84775 View attachment 84776 View attachment 84777 View attachment 84778 View attachment 84779 View attachment 84780 View attachment 84781
I suppose prohibition gave a real boost to the moonshine business as prohibition turned out to be one of the most unpopular and flagrantly ignored laws in U.S. history.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Prohibition was a 'National Disaster', so completely in agreement. For those interested, checkout the 2011 6-hr documentary by Ken Burns on Prohibition - short interview w/ Ken below.

Concerning North Carolina moonshining, also concur about the effect of Prohibition on the 'industry' - although moonshining in the state dates back to colonial days, its most infamous period began with Prohibition in the 1920s and 1930s; after repeal, the practice continued as making moonshine was wildly popular, supported individuals and their families, and was still desired by many people; that was the period when Wilkes County was known as the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' where Junior Johnson rose to fame and saw the emergence of NASCAR. But moonshining declined in the later decades of the 20th century with opening of ABC stores in North Carolina, the shift to other drug trafficking, and likely other reasons.

Also along with the opening of well over a hundred craft breweries in the state, distilleries have become popular - see quote below - the NC map shows over 50 distilleries making 'legal' whiskey and even products resembling 'moonshine' - I've circled the 'Broad Branch Distillery' in Winston-Salem (we've not made a visit and done a tour but will be in our near future - I've been to distilleries in Tennessee & Kentucky, so should be interesting, of course, on a MUCH smaller scale). Dave :)

Although moonshine originally referred to high-proof spirits that were distilled without government authorization as far back as the 1800’s, things have changed in recent years. Since 2010, moonshine is no longer illegal in the United States, but it still packs the same powerful punch that it always has. Usually made from corn mash, moonshine is clear, unaged whiskey that can range in strength from 40 proof all the way up to 100 proof (that’s 50% ABV!). And since its roots are firmly planted in the Appalachian Mountains, there are now more than 30 distilleries in North Carolina where you can sample a little of these famous spirits and experience a little Southern culture in the process. (Source)

Moohshine2_A.jpg
Moohshine2_B.jpg
Moohshine2_C.png
Moohshine2_D.jpg
Moohshine2_E.jpg
Moohshine2_F.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Prohibition was a 'National Disaster', so completely in agreement. For those interested, checkout the 2011 6-hr documentary by Ken Burns on Prohibition - short interview w/ Ken below.

Concerning North Carolina moonshining, also concur about the effect of Prohibition on the 'industry' - although moonshining in the state dates back to colonial days, its most infamous period began with Prohibition in the 1920s and 1930s; after repeal, the practice continued as making moonshine was wildly popular, supported individuals and their families, and was still desired by many people; that was the period when Wilkes County was known as the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' where Junior Johnson rose to fame and saw the emergence of NASCAR. But moonshining declined in the later decades of the 20th century with opening of ABC stores in North Carolina, the shift to other drug trafficking, and likely other reasons.

Also along with the opening of well over a hundred craft breweries in the state, distilleries have become popular - see quote below - the NC map shows over 50 distilleries making 'legal' whiskey and even products resembling 'moonshine' - I've circled the 'Broad Branch Distillery' in Winston-Salem (we've not made a visit and done a tour but will be in our near future - I've been to distilleries in Tennessee & Kentucky, so should be interesting, of course, on a MUCH smaller scale). Dave :)

View attachment 84785 View attachment 84786 View attachment 84787 View attachment 84788 View attachment 84789 View attachment 84790
I’ve got the Ken Burns Prohibition series. It was very informative and enjoyable.
Even today we still feel the effects of prohibition as it changed the way alcohol was and still is consumed. Drinking at home became more acceptable and two years after prohibition ended Alcoholics Anonymous
Was founded.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve got the Ken Burns Prohibition series. It was very informative and enjoyable.
Even today we still feel the effects of prohibition as it changed the way alcohol was and still is consumed. Drinking at home became more acceptable and two years after prohibition ended Alcoholics Anonymous
Was founded.

Yep - I thought you might own that documentary - we watched on PBS when released but I did not buy the DVD - might take a look at the current options since certainly worth a second viewing. Ken's next big project is on Country Music to be aired later this year (wish it were earlier!) - as indicated in the link, Bill Malone is the main commentator (although there will be plenty of 'start' interviews) - I just finished reading his 50th Anniversary edition (2018) of the book below on the subject - excellent (believe that I've own all editions over the decades).

But returning to moonshine, prohibition, and the rapid rise of legal distilleries in North Carolina - just was perusing the Broad Branch Distillery website - located in downtown Winston-Salem and offering tours w/ a tasting at the end (similar to posts in my Kentucky thread) - their products look quite interesting (one featured below) - a lot of these new places are clustered around the Charlotte area and on this recent visit, we were considering a 'distillery tour' - maybe next time? Dave :)
Moonshine3_A.jpg
Moonshine3_B.jpg
Moonshine3_C.jpg
Moonshine3_D.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Was founded.

Hey Scifan.. - last night, I wanted to watch one of my many documentary DVDs/BDs (quite a few multi-disc sets) - so I was rummaging through the collection and 'my word' I found the BD of Burn's Prohibition - watched the first of 3 discs last night - as expected, quite excellent! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.10.25 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts