What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Issue

jschlis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iphone 4,4s an ipad 2 and now an ipad3. All but the ipad 3 make a vibration to let me know that the device is actively charging. Is there a setting for this on the ipad3 or have they done away with this? I am only charging the ipads directly from the wall outlet.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is strange

I have the new iPad, iPad2, iPad, iPhone4 and iPhone 4s. None of them vibrate as you describe.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 does this too, feels like a feint buzzing, almost like a mild electric shock......I remember a discussion about this some time ago, before I got my iPad 2 I think.

The Archangel

L

Lunar

Can't say I've noticed anything on either my iPhone4s or my iPad1 or new iPad 3

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get this on both iPad 2 and 3, I'd describe it similarly as a mild electric shock buzzing....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is not a feature.

Any vibration you are feeling while charging is a byproduct of the process. It can vary from nothing to noticeable depending on minor differences in the components and assembly of the device.

If you pay attention you'll notice it in may electronics and electrical devices; especially power supplies. My iPad's power supply has a mild vibration. My iPad does not.

I am surprised that it is happening in any iOS Device itself. I wonder what circuitry is causing it. The usual cause is the transformer that converts household AC to whatever else is needed, and that is external the iOS devices. Or is it possible that those who are feeling it are charging in a dock or some other method that could be physically transmitting the vibration to the device? Even having both in firm contact with an intermediate like a table might to it.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My devices give off an audible tone to let you know they have started charging. There is no vibration, however.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It is not a feature.

Any vibration you are feeling while charging is a byproduct of the process. It can vary from nothing to noticeable depending on minor differences in the components and assembly of the device.

If you pay attention you'll notice it in may electronics and electrical devices; especially power supplies. My iPad's power supply has a mild vibration. My iPad does not.

I am surprised that it is happening in any iOS Device itself. I wonder what circuitry is causing it. The usual cause is the transformer that converts household AC to whatever else is needed, and that is external the iOS devices. Or is it possible that those who are feeling it are charging in a dock or some other method that could be physically transmitting the vibration to the device? Even having both in firm contact with an intermediate like a table might to it.

I don't use a dock and the charger is not on the table with my iPad, I also feel it to a lesser extent in my iPhone. It doesn't really bother me until my hair starts to stand on end!

The Archangel

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bad grounding for some bad devices have these statics, yes the ipad3 i could feel it, not on the ipad2 though

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect it might be an effect from the power supplied. 50 Hz may be more inclined to do this than 60 Hz, for example. The chargers are suppose to be universal, but there are small differences in the DC power provided.

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jschlis said:
I have an iphone 4,4s an ipad 2 and now an ipad3. All but the ipad 3 make a vibration to let me know that the device is actively charging. Is there a setting for this on the ipad3 or have they done away with this? I am only charging the ipads directly from the wall outlet.

My iPad's have never vibrated when put on charge. As far as I know the iPad doesn't have any vibration capabilities. Think it's just the iPhone and iPod touch that vibrate.

Dan

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bad grounding for some bad devices have these statics, yes the ipad3 i could feel it, not on the ipad2 though

Your charger will vibrate after the ipad 3 is fully charged???

How did you find out? You held the charger and waited till that moment the ipad battery meter reached 100%?

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grouchomarx said:
Your charger will vibrate after the ipad 3 is fully charged???

How did you find out? You held the charger and waited till that moment the ipad battery meter reached 100%?

It doesn't vibrate in the way say a phone does when it gets a phone call,it's more a gentle electric shock sensation...

And mine does it from the point you plug it in, not necessarily when it's fully charged.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't vibrate in the way say a phone does when it gets a phone call,it's more a gentle electric shock sensation...

And mine does it from the point you plug it in, not necessarily when it's fully charged.

Then I don't think it's vibration. It's more like low frequency (50Hz since you're in UK) resonance or hum some time you hear from poorly grounded Hi-fi system.

AnujaM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm facing the same problem with my new iPad3 !!! I feel little vibrations on the backside and edges while charging it...is it normal??should I continue using it??any solution for this problem??

Most reactions

Latest posts