What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charge iPhone from iPad (i.e. Using iPad as external battery)

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi... wouldn't be great if I could use my iPad as an external battery to recharge my iPhone when its juice gets low. I'd need a cable with Lightening plug at both ends. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi... wouldn't be great if I could use my iPad as an external battery to recharge my iPhone when its juice gets low. I'd need a cable with Lightening plug at both ends. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

I just make sure I have chargers in the places I am the most. I keep one in my car, office, and several at home. I don't think there will be much demand to charge from an iPad and I don't think the electronics are designed to support it. The internal batteries are around 3.7V and the chargers are 5V. I don't think the iPad is designed to output 5V which is needed to charge an iPhone. A cable would need to step up the voltage. Not likely to see that.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless the capacity of the iPad and the consumption of the battery is similar to that of a low consumption NetBook on an 8-10 cell battery, it won't last. Depending on which iPad model, the capacity is anywhere from 4000 to 11560 mAh, and if you're charging your phone using your iPad, your device has to essentially be on during the charging process, which in itself will drain from the capacity. Throw in what @AQ_OC said, it's not a sound choice of use.

You can invest anywhere from 30-60 dollars on a 10,400+ mAh external battery pack like the RavPower which you can use for most handheld devices including all iOS and Android devices, both phones and tablets.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Most reactions

Latest posts