What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing ownership of iPad

Parsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i am happy to be a member of this forum. I am a very dedicated iPad user. As I have replaced mu iPad 1 with iPad 2 3
G I would like to give it to my sick brother. He is unable to get about and I believe an iPad would change his life. However I hope someone can help. I don't know how to change ownership and registration to him. From Parsley

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Your old iPad can just be fresh restored to as new Factory settings before giving to your brother. This will wipe everything on your iPad for him to start fresh with all his info. You can also do this on the iPad itself Settings - General - Reset - erase all content and settings.
You may want to transfer everything to your new iPad first and may even want to share apps with him so have a look at this thread. Hope it helps.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...new-ipad-multiple-ipads-icloud-questions.html

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
P

Parsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you leelai
Sounds much easier than I thought. When I reset would my name As the registered owner be deleted.would my brother register his name with Apple as the new owner.
Regards parsley

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Parsley said:
Thank you leelai
Sounds much easier than I thought. When I reset would my name As the registered owner be deleted.would my brother register his name with Apple as the new owner.
Regards parsley

No there's no need to contact Apple on this if that's what you mean. Your brother would create his own Apple ID for any purchases, unless you intend to share.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
P

Parsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
No there's no need to contact Apple on this if that's what you mean. Your brother would create his own Apple ID for any purchases, unless you intend to share.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Yes I did mean that. Also the serial number of my iPad 1 is registered to me in apples records

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Parsley said:
Yes I did mean that. Also the serial number of my iPad 1 is registered to me in apples records

The iPad is no longer under warranty so this would not matter.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Kimberly Galati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought an Ipad mini 2 from a friend that lives near by. Unfortunately I can not put it under my apple id and password. I read that apple will reset it with a bill of sale. I can't get a hold of the person that I bought it from and now have an ipad that I can do nothing with since it is locked under her apple id. Is there anything that I can do or am I just stuck with a useless electronic?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought an Ipad mini 2 from a friend that lives near by. Unfortunately I can not put it under my apple id and password. I read that apple will reset it with a bill of sale. I can't get a hold of the person that I bought it from and now have an ipad that I can do nothing with since it is locked under her apple id. Is there anything that I can do or am I just stuck with a useless electronic?
What you have is known as iCloud Activation Lock, which is a security measure designed to prevent a lost or stolen iOS device from being used by unauthorized persons. Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass it. You'll have to contact your friend to have her remove the iPad from her iCloud account. Until you do, it will be little more than an expensive paperweight.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What you have is known as iCloud Activation Lock, which is a security measure designed to prevent a lost or stolen iOS device from being used by unauthorized persons. Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass it. You'll have to contact your friend to have her remove the iPad from her iCloud account. Until you do, it will be little more than an expensive paperweight.

Just a general recommendation because this issue has come up here SO OFTEN - for those reading this thread who may be purchasing or being given an iDevice, the previous owner MUST do a number of steps to assure that the new owner can take ownership and use the device - this Apple Support Article will help - make SURE that your friend, family member, or buying site has taken these appropriate steps or as nicely said by SciFi.., your have a door stop - ;) Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts