What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing languages

Encore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am setting up an iPad for a friend in France. She has a French address for her credit card but is English speaking and would like her iBooks and iTunes to give her only English options. Unfortunately as soon as I put her credit card details in, showing a French address, her app store, iTunes and iBook options are in French. Any help in switching this to English - short off getting a UK credit card would be appraciated.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
go to settings, then choose international

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am setting up an iPad for a friend in France. She has a French address for her credit card but is English speaking and would like her iBooks and iTunes to give her only English options. Unfortunately as soon as I put her credit card details in, showing a French address, her app store, iTunes and iBook options are in French. Any help in switching this to English - short off getting a UK credit card would be appraciated.

Salut, si ton amie veux un compte anglais elle ne peux avoir que US , et tu doit mettre comme moyen de paiement une carte itunes US , tu trouve ça sur e-bay (50$) , tu cherche via google une adresse US et voila :) , pour les comptes UK il n’y a pas a ma connaissance de solution

PS: sorry for all i wrote in french as he his french (and me too)

OP
E

Encore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful. The iPad language in settings is already in English, so no problem there. It is in iTunes and iBooks that creates the problem. They don't have an apparent option to change the language - just base it on the country. I'm hoping that someone knows where the magic language key is hidden.

iPadOne. Merci pour votre suggestion, mais j'espérais une solution qu'était dans le iPad.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful. The iPad language in settings is already in English, so no problem there. It is in iTunes and iBooks that creates the problem. They don't have an apparent option to change the language - just base it on the country. I'm hoping that someone knows where the magic language key is hidden.

e for Ibook you should get a new one from English account … as we can’t enter in the ipad settings

grin.van

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im using a russian keyboard as my second one and nothing seems to be an issue with that.

OP
E

Encore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the keyboard or the international settings. Just iTubes and iBooks. The question is, is it possible to change the language on iTunes/iBooks from the defaulted setting of French to English. It defaults to French because the person is using a French credit card and therefore must have her country listed as France - but she is English and wants to be able to download a selection of English books.

60seconds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone solved this glitch. Just got a mini retina and want to use iBooks in the US..but can't as when I try and choose the us option I'm asked to fill in a us address! The French iBooks is UTTERLY USELESS. I LOOK FOR BOOKS ON FRENCH MILITARY HISTORY AND GET 7 hits....and half are about Italian history! I live in France but in 2014 this should NOT prevent me from searching us texts. It's
So unbelievably sad and ancient....we should be able to search alpha country and alpha language....as well as free books only!
Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thx David

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone solved this glitch. Just got a mini retina and want to use iBooks in the US..but can't as when I try and choose the us option I'm asked to fill in a us address! The French iBooks is UTTERLY USELESS. I LOOK FOR BOOKS ON FRENCH MILITARY HISTORY AND GET 7 hits....and half are about Italian history! I live in France but in 2014 this should NOT prevent me from searching us texts. It's So unbelievably sad and ancient....we should be able to search alpha country and alpha language....as well as free books only! Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thx David
Hi, David! Welcome to iPF!

To purchase books from the US iBooks Store, you need a US Apple ID. That's why you're asked to enter a US address.
With your French Apple ID you only can access the French App, iTunes and iBooks Store.
It's possible, however, to set up a second Apple ID from a different country. (Or even a third one.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts