What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Icloud ID

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Common issue--wife, husband have two Ipads, one Apple ID for buying apps and books. I've been using IOS5 since first day but just got around to upgrading husband's Ipad yesterday. I didn't think this out before allowing Icloud to be his Apple ID also. I've searched and searched for answer and while I was able to change his Apple ID to allow us to Imessage if we choose I can't find anything that really works to allow me to change his Icloud ID to his new Apple ID so our Icloud backups, photostream, etc are separate. Any help appreciated.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had found this recommended in the Apple Support forums but quite a number said it didn't work for them. I decided to try it anyhow after your post. Worked for me. He now has his own Apple ID for both the Cloud and Imessaging and we don't merge LOL. He has little content, mostly in Goodreader, I have lots of content so it created an issue for both of us--and now its solved. Thanksl

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it states to change in settings but a number tried and found they were unable to do so--there have been a number of threads about this on Apple support. Some are afraid to "delete account" and the link about changing your Apple ID doesn't state so (some would say its implied LOL) but, as I said in the post above, I did delete the account (mine) on just my husband's Ipad 1 and added a new email and password to establish a different Apple ID so my husband's and my Photostream and backups on Icloud aren't merged. if you want to Imessage between two devices with same store ID you also have to have different Apple IDs and that's also not perfectly clear as to how to do that since that also has generated several threads in Apple support--and is a different process.

Frankly, I ended up turning off Photostream since I do a lot of printscreens for tutorials and thus have a lot of junk stuff floating up on Touch, my PC and Apple TV so until they implement a way to delete from the Photostream its not worthwhile at all for me. I also find that I prefer Dropbox to backup data because I can access it from any device, Apple or not, and decide what I want backed up. I do add some things in Goodreader to Icloud but it doesn't serve the purpose I prefer for backup that Dropbox, Box.net and other cloud services do so I won't be buying more storage from Apple whereas I probably will buy more from Dropbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts