What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes at Apple to mean fewer replacement iDevices

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks KKK, interesting reading!
They think they'll save a $billion? It would be interesting to know how much they'll lose in goodwill (read, sales) by abandoning that well-known and loved customer service. I just can't help thinking something smacks of desperation in that post-Steve Jobs organisation that is evolving now, and whether this is wise commercial management. Market share is already dropping. Would a move like this improve it?
"Trained" sales staff taking my iPad out back of the store to work on a problem that they diagnosed from my, possibly amateurish, description? Not sure about that one at all.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How would this affect those already on existing AppleCare+ plans?

Sounds like geniuses would be more likely to try repairing your Apple product than giving you a quick replacement.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They think they'll save a $billion? It would be interesting to know how much they'll lose in goodwill (read, sales) by abandoning that well-known and loved customer service. I just can't help thinking something smacks of desperation in that post-Steve Jobs organisation that is evolving now, and whether this is wise commercial management. Market share is already dropping. Would a move like this improve it?
"Trained" sales staff taking my iPad out back of the store to work on a problem that they diagnosed from my, possibly amateurish, description? Not sure about that one at all.
Regards, Andrew

Yes, I would expect lower customer satisfaction overall. They could hit a balance, though, and be willing to live with slightly lower satisfaction in exchange for savings. Ultimately, all they have to do is do better than their competition. Till now, they've often gone above and beyond.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just reading that has lowered my satisfaction.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
can you imagine being without your phone for example for who knows how long? not a good move.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just think what this change will mean if you need warranty service while on vacation. So much for walking out a few minutes later with a replacement.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just think what this change will mean if you need warranty service while on vacation. So much for walking out a few minutes later with a replacement.
yes,i don't like this one bit.

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
This is a great story! I'm going to write this up as a news story on the main page.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Regards, Andrew

Was this "no questions asked here is a replacement device" return policy something Jobs came up with?

I see things changing at Apple. I'll parrot many others when I say there was only one Steve Jobs and I see Cook doing things Jobs might not have allowed.

Will Apple become just another computer company or will Apple still WOW us every year. My guess is no, Apple is gone; rather, the old Apple is gone or going away.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I can tell you for a fact, that repairing consumer electronics is costly. I have seen thousands of products returned to our RMA deopartment and it is often cheaper to send a replacement than to fix the damaged unit. In our case, opening the Palm V was a headache and it almost always required replacing the old metal cases. Not to mention, the percentage lost because they were poorly made in the first place and the repair often further damages the product.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can tell you for a fact, that repairing consumer electronics is costly. I have seen thousands of products returned to our RMA deopartment and it is often cheaper to send a replacement than to fix the damaged unit. In our case, opening the Palm V was a headache and it almost always required replacing the old metal cases. Not to mention, the percentage lost because they were poorly made in the first place and the repair often further damages the product.

That goes without saying. And I'm not going to bother with old tech that you mention.

The point of this is focused on the iPhone repair costs going up.

By the way, tech moves quickly, so no need to go back to ancient refs, lol.

http://ifixit.org/3319/

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts