What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change my ip address

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to be able to change my address does anyone know if there is app that would hide it ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The IP address is assigned by the router ( for wifi), and by your cellular provider (for a cellular connection). You can assign an ip on your home network to your device, depending on your wireless router's functionality. You cannot change the IP address assigned by your cellular provider.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use a VPN to hide your IP address. There are free ones (not good, from what I hear) and paid ones.

Some apps, movies, books and music are available only in certain countries' iTunes stores, so some people use VPN to hide their IP addresses so they can buy content and stream. That's especially useful for people in countries with very limited content, or no iTunes store.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot change the IP address assigned by your cellular provider.

You can if you use a VPN. Depending on the VPN, they can offer you IP addresses all over the world, which will hide your IP address even while using a cellular connection.

avanthika

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to change my address does anyone know if there is app that would hide it ? Sent from my iPad using iPF

changing your ipads local ip address (if that is even possible considering how closed apples software tends to be) would do nothing. You need to change your external IP address.

If you have a static external ip address you need to call your isp and ask them to change your ip address for you. If you don't have a static external ip address it might work to just restart your router, but if not you should call your isp and ask them about changing your ip address or when they'll change it next.

After that you can check your ip address change or not using the site XXXXXXXXXXX. Here it display Internet service provider, IP address,location, Longitude, latitude and so on...

Moderation notice:This post has been edited by ipadforums staff in accordance with theForum RulesNo External Links

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
changing your ipads local ip address (if that is even possible considering how closed apples software tends to be) would do nothing. You need to change your external IP address. If you have a static external ip address you need to call your isp and ask them to change your ip address for you. If you don't have a static external ip address it might work to just restart your router, but if not you should call your isp and ask them about changing your ip address or when they'll change it next. After that you can check your ip address change or not using the site XXXXXXXXXXXX. Here it display Internet service provider, IP address,location, Longitude, latitude and so on...

People want to change their IP address to cross country jurisdictions and otherwise mask their IP address. Your Internet provider will not help you with that. As already provided in info and links previously on this thread, there are multiple ways to do that. They usually involve paying for a VPN service like HideMyAss. Such companies provide hundreds if not thousands of IP addresses around the world that customers can use to hide their external IP addresses. That allows customers to cross country jurisdictions and use other countries' iTunes stores, buy apps, and buy, watch or listen to content from other countries. Whether or not to spend money changing your IP address to do that is up to each person's budget, of course.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To use another countries' iTunes Store, you don't need a different IP address. There are many users directed to a different country's store when tapping a link in Safari, e.g., and some of them don't know how to return to their original App Store when this happens.

Months ago, I had an app from the US App Store on my iPad without knowing how it got there. It shouldn't have been possible to download it with my Austrian Apple ID.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe there are apps that people buy and use without a masked IP, but what I've observed is that most people who ask about masking IP addresses are looking to watch movies and shows from another country. What I've found in such cases: Your app is useless without an IP address from that country, because the movie or show provider will check your IP address when you try to stream. For example, I've already loaded a bunch of streaming apps from different countries, but they don't work unless I turn on my VPN and use an IP address from that specific country. It's the only reason I pay for alternative IP addresses.

Most reactions

Latest posts