What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change file extension?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a bunch of .rtf files that were synced with Docs2go on the iPad that have .doc extensions. They are really .rtf files though, and Docs2go chokes on them.

Any utilities that will allow me to rename the file on the iPad and change the extension? I will end up renaming these on the Mac and syncing again, but if I can get 50 of them renamed tonight away from my desk, that would be helpful.

This utility would be helpful for when this happens in the future too - which I know it will

Thanks,

-t

OP
thewitt

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I worked myself out of the jam for tonight, but this solution won't work for the client.

I used Goodreader to upload the offending files to a unix server where I renamed them to .rtf files using a terminal program, then used Goodreader to pull them back down and open in Docs2go.

I think I'll ask Docs2Go and Goodreader support both if they will add rename including the file extension and see how good their support is... If neither will add it I might need to write this utility app...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can already change the extension in GoodReader. Use the Rename button in the Manage Files section, add the new extension. GoodReader will ask you if you want to use the new extension or keep the old one.

OP
thewitt

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Goodreader support guys just answered me as well with the same answer.... I never thought to try it since they separated the file name and extension in the rename dialog.

Thanks!

Just another reason I think this is one must have application!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I stumbled on it some time ago; don't remember what I was trying to do but the fact that I could do it stuck.

GoodReader was great when I first got it, and they keep adding cool tools and tweaks. It deserves an expanded manual or How To book. I'd buy it. I'm sure there are dozens of tricks hiding away that I've never guessed at.

Most reactions