What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Certain apps not downloading

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Every so often, I'll choose an app or an update from the App Store, enter my ID if necessary, and watch the download fail to get past the "waiting" or "loading" stage before it eventually times out. It leaves a darkened icon on the iPad, but there's no app under it. Quitting and restarting the App Store app and the iPad itself make no difference. Other apps and updates download normally. In the case of updates, I have been able to update the apps successfully in iTunes on my iMac, thence to the iPad at the next sync. But new apps don't work that way, and seem to be doomed forever.

Anyone have a solution? iPad3, iOS 7.1.1

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every so often, I'll choose an app or an update from the App Store, enter my ID if necessary, and watch the download fail to get past the "waiting" or "loading" stage before it eventually times out. It leaves a darkened icon on the iPad, but there's no app under it. Quitting and restarting the App Store app and the iPad itself make no difference. Other apps and updates download normally. In the case of updates, I have been able to update the apps successfully in iTunes on my iMac, thence to the iPad at the next sync. But new apps don't work that way, and seem to be doomed forever. Anyone have a solution? iPad3, iOS 7.1.1
I don't have a solution for you but there is a workaround that will let you get new apps on to your iPad. If you go into iTunes on your computer you can then go to the iTunes App Store and buy the app there. It will then appear in your purchased history and can be transferred to your iPad during a sync.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scifan already provided an excellent workaround for your problem. You can also try these things to solve the issue on your iPad:

First of all, make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi.

Try resetting your iPad, maybe this will help.

Otherwise go to App Store - Featured, scroll down to your Apple ID and sign out. Force close all the apps in the multitask bar and restart your iPad. Sign in in App Store - Featured again and try to download or install the app/s.

Before iOS 7, it sometimes helped changing time and date and then selecting the right date and time again.

Last edited:
OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have a solution for you but there is a workaround that will let you get new apps on to your iPad. If you go into iTunes on your computer you can then go to the iTunes App Store and buy the app there. It will then appear in your purchased history and can be transferred to your iPad during a sync.

Thanks, sci and Johanna, but the app in question was already in my Purchased list, presumably from previous failed attempts to install it. I set to "will install" in iTunes and did a sync, but it still did not download. I've force quit, reset, jumped through all known flaming hoops, and it still times out.

I have not yet slaughtered any goats nor thrown any virgins into volcanoes. I don't think I need it quite that badly. It's just a unit conversion app that had gone free when I first tried to grab it. Apparently, not a single such app in the App Store is as handy as the Dashboard widget that comes with OS X, but hope springs eternal...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another thought: is it in your storage as well? Look at Settings - General - Usage - Storage. If it is there, delete it. Then go to your Purchased list and install it.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or maybe you should check General, About to make sure you have enough free space. I've seen cases where people could not update their iOS because they had filled the device with photos!!

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good ideas, but it's not listed in Usage, and there are 5.9 GB free. I give up.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to give up completely, you could try resetting all settings (and of course go through all your settings afterwards to select them the way you prefer). If this doesn't help, I don't have any further ideas.

Most reactions

Latest posts