What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car connections don't work after the update. Very distressed.

Silbermanlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until this update, I was a fan of the ipad. It's greatest value was the ability to listen to audio tapes while driving. Since
the update, the audio connections do not work on either of our cars and the battery dies since it isn't charging either.
This is not a minor problem for me. I have tried rebooting and playing with the audio toggle. Please help.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I got you right, the sound isn't working altogether, right? You didn't explain the problem enough but if both the speaker and the jack aren't working, it happened to me before. I kept restarting the iPad every time the sound goes. It just went away in 3 days or so. Even though this happened after an update, I figured it was a hardware malfunction due to high humidity.
If it's only the jack not working then I'd recommend backing up to previous update. Google the version number of the previous updates and you'll find websites where you can download them and most probably a brief description of the steps.

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the little benefits I enjoyed during my brief bout with jail breaking, was a utility that allows legacy devices and cables to work with the iPad. It let my ancient, but formerly $100 Monster cable car radio adapter/charger work when it didn't before. Unfortunately, it does require jail breaking.

OP
S

Silbermanlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! The iPad speakers work. I've tried multiple connections. In one car I had an iPad Cale installed directly and it no longer works. In the other car I have an USB cord direct that doesn't work and I've tried the USB cord through the lighter connection and it isn't charging it either. The car no longer recognizes the iPad at all even though it did before the update. My headset works ok. I drive a lot and this is horrible. When I use the speakers the battery drains.... I thought we couldn't go backwards on the updates. I'd love to do that. A great product was ruined by the update and I haven't seen any advantages.

Thanks poco ear and me-1. Don't give up on me!!

OP
S

Silbermanlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the little benefits I enjoyed during my brief bout with jail breaking, was a utility that allows legacy devices and cables to work with the iPad. It let my ancient, but formerly $100 Monster cable car radio adapter/charger work when it didn't before. Unfortunately, it does require jail breaking.
I have no idea how to jailbreak. But it USED to work!!

johnodd4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a thought did you know that 5.1.1 removes unauthorized apple devices from the Ipad Iphone and Ipod Touch devices that use to function no longer do this is due to a bunch of explosive chargers key word there explosive chargers that came from other country's that where not authorized one instance came from india where on of these chargers caused a iphone to explode and killed a young indian gentleman so this was the need for this update and blocking of third party devices it does suck and i hate to tell you jailbreaking no longer allows older devices to function it sucks

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silbermanlaw said:
Thanks for your help! The iPad speakers work. I've tried multiple connections. In one car I had an iPad Cale installed directly and it no longer works. In the other car I have an USB cord direct that doesn't work and I've tried the USB cord through the lighter connection and it isn't charging it either. The car no longer recognizes the iPad at all even though it did before the update. My headset works ok. I drive a lot and this is horrible. When I use the speakers the battery drains.... I thought we couldn't go backwards on the updates. I'd love to do that. A great product was ruined by the update and I haven't seen any advantages.

Thanks poco ear and me-1. Don't give up on me!!

You are talking about a car audio system that's iPhone ready. I installed one of those in my wife's car and the technician warned me specifically it wouldn't work past a certain update version (as in the operating system of the stereo wouldn't recognize the iPhone any more).

So, two quick solutions, write an email to the support department of the car system manufacturer. Ask them if they have a system update that is compatible with your iPad version.
The other solution (and by far the simpler) get an FM radio transmitter. Those things are sold in gas stations for around 20-30$ (i bought one from a gas station in Arkansas but I don't remember how much it cost). There are transmitters that plug to the iPad connection slot and powers up off the iPad itself (i like those). There are the ones that plug to the 12v supply and charge up the iPad while transmitting (i don't really like cables lying around and I'm a bit too much in love with my iPad to risk charging it with a device that might screw up the battery but hey they do the trick) and then there are the ones that plug to your 3.5 jack just like head phones and work on batteries ( I LOVE those, you can play anything from any device and best of all, they have their own batteries).

And downgrading IS possible with some versions. I wouldn't know because I haven't updated my iPad in well over a year but at some point I downgraded my 3GS and it worked. Google it.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
moe0000001 said:
You are talking about a car audio system that's iPhone ready. I installed one of those in my wife's car and the technician warned me specifically it wouldn't work past a certain update version (as in the operating system of the stereo wouldn't recognize the iPhone any more).

So, two quick solutions, write an email to the support department of the car system manufacturer. Ask them if they have a system update that is compatible with your iPad version.
The other solution (and by far the simpler) get an FM radio transmitter. Those things are sold in gas stations for around 20-30$ (i bought one from a gas station in Arkansas but I don't remember how much it cost). There are transmitters that plug to the iPad connection slot and powers up off the iPad itself (i like those). There are the ones that plug to the 12v supply and charge up the iPad while transmitting (i don't really like cables lying around and I'm a bit too much in love with my iPad to risk charging it with a device that might screw up the battery but hey they do the trick) and then there are the ones that plug to your 3.5 jack just like head phones and work on batteries ( I LOVE those, you can play anything from any device and best of all, they have their own batteries).

And downgrading IS possible with some versions. I wouldn't know because I haven't updated my iPad in well over a year but at some point I downgraded my 3GS and it worked. Google it.

Same thing i did moe and I find this cheaper. Besides that, not all vehicles have a Bluetooth integrated on their stereo. The transmitter and 3.5 jack works great for me so I choose which one to use when I'm in another persons vehicle.

iPadcamco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iphonefmtransmitter.net
I just want to let people know that there is a fm transmitter that is design and built for iPhone, iPad, and iPod. There is no problem with the system or iOS. It just simple plug and play. [Moderator edit: no external links to your website.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions