What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant start session Itunes, and cant back up IPad

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The error message reads: Titled ITunes and reads "ITunes could not back up the IPad (IPad name) because a session could not be started with the IPad". Im on a PC running Windows Vista Business, I have the latest Itunes and operating system for IPad 1, I have reinstalled itunes and followed the delete backup from forum but no joy. I run a reinstalled itunes if that helps. What to do?
Can my IPad be infected?
is the IPad broken just 6 months old?
Sync encounted error while connecting to IPAD.
pleas HELP Im a newbie tech idiot

Last edited:

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best troubleshooting step is always to reboot the device giving you the problem. In this instance, if the backup file is locked (which would keep it from being deleted by the backup process), rebooting the computer will unlock it.

Tim's link is the best way to fix this problem, but bear in mind, when you have problems, rebooting can oftentimes do the trick.

OP
P

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i HAVE TRIED ALL THE ADVICE GIVEN on the linked page and even rebooted and reinstalled Itunes. The problem remains still cant sync or in fact do very much because of the problem.
What happens if I delete all Apple programes and start from scratch.
Im in real trouble here. HELP please. Im in New Zealand is there a place it can be sent or a number I can ring. J have had the IPad for 4 months but I do not live in a major centre but a provincal city.
ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The error message reads: Titled ITunes and reads "ITunes could not back up the IPad (IPad name) because a session could not be started with the IPad". Im on a PC running Windows Vista Business, I have the latest Itunes and operating system for IPad 1, I have reinstalled itunes and followed the delete backup from forum but no joy. I run a reinstalled itunes if that helps. What to do?
Can my IPad be infected?
is the IPad broken just 6 months old?
Sync encounted error while connecting to IPAD.
pleas HELP Im a newbie tech idiot

OK - I saw your PM and I have replied to it. Is your iPad currently working OK? I know you can't back it up (that's what I'm assuming you were trying to do) but is everything else OK other than that? Has this problem only recently started - i.e. have you been able to backup and/or sync your iPad previously?

You say you have the latest iOS on your iPad - which is iOS 4.3.3. Since the iPad1 was only ever supplied with iOS 4.2 before it was superseded by the iPad2 you must have been able to update the operating system at some time in the past, so I'm assuming this problem with iTunes on your PC is a new problem. Similarly, we're now on iTunes 10.1.3 I believe, which is a couple of upgrades on from the version that was available when you first had your iPad1.

So did this problem start when you upgraded the iPad operating system or iTunes - or have I misunderstood the problem entirely? It seems pretty certain that it's a 'configuration issue' - i.e. neither your iPad nor your PC are faulty, but it's simply a settings issue or something similar.

These can be hard to track down, so you need to be as detailed as possible in letting us know the exact current configuration of your iPad and PC. For sure, we'll do everything we can to sort this problem out.

Tim

OP
P

Poohcat2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah thanks Tim the Ipad was working fine until about a week ago when it went lumpy custard on me. I rang the Brisbane based support centre and they too were pretty confused as to what the problem was and why it occured. Still dont know but the Brisbane chappie had me hard reboot the Ipad and touch wood it appears to work and be back to normal;).
So thanks to you and all those who helped me it is much appreciated. Good luck and Kia Ora. :cool:;):eek::ipad-front:

Most reactions