What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up/update problem

Eos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I sync or try to update my iPad I get the following error msg:

"iTunes could not back up the iPad.. because a session could not be started with the iPad"

I have tried following your instructions from a previous thread regarding editing the plist ( Go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist and look for the line that reads DeviceBackupsDisabled and make sure it's set to False.) but that line does not exist in the plist. I use a mac... any more suggestions?

p.s. I also tried to set the iPad to "encrypt backup" but it would not accept any password I entered :s

Last edited:

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a hard reset, hold down the home button and then the sleep/wake button until the apple logo appears. This has helped others with the same problem.

If this does not work then you can try a restore to factory settings. Please ensure you have a good backup for the iPad, its stored in On a Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Apple has a very good knowledge base article on backing up and restoring iPads, you can find it here

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Pagliacci

OP
E

Eos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Pagliacci... I tried your suggestion with no luck and was about to do a restore when I noticed that my mirror back up drive for the Mac was off. I store all my photos and videos on one external drive and do a mirror copy to this one (I have a third for software and OS backups). Even though it does not make any sense to me, once I turned this back on iTunes completed my iPad update with no worries.

Thanks again for your help... I hope this might be of some help to others with similar problems.

Last edited:

Most reactions