What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't open draft email

LHoatson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I am very new to iPad usage -<2 weeks. I started an email, saved a draft, and now can't open the draft to finish editing or send. I see that I have 1 draft, but it is gray-ed out and won't open. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Larry

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I am very new to iPad usage -<2 weeks. I started an email, saved a draft, and now can't open the draft to finish editing or send. I see that I have 1 draft, but it is gray-ed out and won't open. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Larry

Welcome to the Forum!!

Can I explore your problem a little more. You say that the draft is grayed out. OK - you have gone to your email account, selected the Drafts folder and it is displaying in the left-hand column. When you say it is grayed out - can you see the email in the left hand column and is it grayed there or does it display in the main body of the screen and is grayed there?

Tim
Scotland

peterpierre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Welcome to the Forum!!

Can I explore your problem a little more. You say that the draft is grayed out. OK - you have gone to your email account, selected the Drafts folder and it is displaying in the left-hand column. When you say it is grayed out - can you see the email in the left hand column and is it grayed there or does it display in the main body of the screen and is grayed there?

Tim
Scotland

Hi, peterpierre here.
Reference to emails in the Draft folder.
I have been able to put an unfinished email into draft, go back and complete it and send it although a 'copy' of the original email text remained in the Draft folder, this I have deleted as there is also one in the send box.
While deleting a few old draft messages the email screen disappeared and the system flicked me back to the Icon screen.
Now when I try to access Draft emails the same things happens after just a few seconds and I have to re access my emails.
The rest of my email system seems unaffected just this 'bombin' out when trying to select the Draft folder.

I have tried saving a 'test message' into my Draft folder, it appears there, but when I then selected one of the other Draft messages in the folder it flipped me back to the Icon screen and on re entering the Draft folder the new test message had disappeared, not been saved!

Any ideas on how to rectify this?

Peterpierre

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Welcome to the Forum!!

Tim
Scotland

Hi, peterpierre here.
Reference to emails in the Draft folder.
I have been able to put an unfinished email into draft, go back and complete it and send it although a 'copy' of the original email text remained in the Draft folder, this I have deleted as there is also one in the send box.
While deleting a few old draft messages the email screen disappeared and the system flicked me back to the Icon screen.
Now when I try to access Draft emails the same things happens after just a few seconds and I have to re access my emails.
The rest of my email system seems unaffected just this 'bombin' out when trying to select the Draft folder.

I have tried saving a 'test message' into my Draft folder, it appears there, but when I then selected one of the other Draft messages in the folder it flipped me back to the Icon screen and on re entering the Draft folder the new test message had disappeared, not been saved!

Any ideas on how to rectify this?

Peterpierre

I have exactly the same problem and have put it down to a 'feature' of Mail and have not worried about it. In practice it means I have a couple of spurious draft emails that I cannot delete but life is too short and so I've not worried about it.

If someone out there has a solution, that would be great though...

Tim

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recall a while back that my drafts were doing this, crashing the app and locking up, and what not. It has since worked itself out. I don't recall what I did to correct it, restart maybe? I do remember that it only lasted a few days. I'll think on this a bit...

jdubcustoms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue as LHoatson. I'm constantly writing partial emails and finishing them out at a later time. I recently got an ipad 2 and I can't figure out how to do this. When I use hotmail on my desktop, I open up a draft message and there is a "continue composing message" link, you click it and... tah-dah!!! you can finish out the email. Why is there no such option on the ipad? Or is there and my PC mind just can't figure it out? This is very frustrating so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

lat2104

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect that you are seeing greyed-out drafts in your inbox...under mailboxes in the left-hand column you will see inbox(es) and below account(s)...click the right account and the drafts should be accessible...

Louis

jdubcustoms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're not greyed out. Above the left hand column I tap "mailboxes" it then brings up a list of boxes like "inbox", "sent", "trash", "drafts", "junk" etc. I tap Drafts and choose a draft that has been saved. The draft comes up, but there doesn't seem to be any way to add to it and finish the message. Any thoughts?

Thanks
-Joe

wuxia1679q

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're not greyed out. Above the left hand column I tap "mailboxes" it then brings up a list of boxes like "inbox", "sent", "trash", "drafts", "junk" etc. I tap Drafts and choose a draft that has been saved. The draft comes up, but there doesn't seem to be any way to add to it and finish the message. Any thoughts?

KBT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. But it doesn't happen every single time. I write a draft, save it for later and then when I come back to edit it later the options for editing it or sending it are grayed and and there is nothing I can do except power down the ipad2 and then start it back up. This usually fixes the problem and I can edit and send the draft, but I have to go thru this process the majority of times I save a draft for later. It is very frustrating.

kimtry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I created an email, tapped cancel and saved as draft. On the left I can see that there is 1 email in the draft box but tapping on the draft box does nothing, will not open. Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be switched? I know others with iPad2 that can tap on that draft box and their drafts emails are listed to select and continue with. help!

JWD191

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe the same problem as reported by KBT. I started typing a draft reply to a message, saved it and returned to it later. When I finished the draft I found that both 'Cancel' and 'Send' buttons are greyed. So I can't save or send. This situation has survived going to some other app, but this time it seems to be surviving shutting down and restarting.

Skylane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JWD191 said:
Sorry, power down and restart did restore capability of 'Cancel' and 'Send' buttons.

After bringing the saved draft up and the Cancel & Send buttons are grayed out. Click in the address or name box, add a new name then that will activate the Blue send tab.

Most reactions

Latest posts