What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get rid of 'unread' emails

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
In fact I can't even FIND those 'unread' emails that a specific mail account claims is there. I've tried setting all (the entire inbox) to 'unread' and then setting all of them back to 'read', but the account still reports some 'unread'. I don't want to trash the entire account and start fresh because there are important emails (lots of them) that I search for when I need them. But my iPads and my iPhone have each accumulated a number of 'missing" unread emails.

I've posted this on Apple communities and they don't seem to be able to help (and now the new Apple security won't let me login anyway).

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is an online account that shows the unread emails, login via browser, and look for the messages there.

If you don't intend to remove the account, disable it, then force close the Mail app.
To disable the account, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Accounts. Select the account that shows the unread emails, and turn off Mail.
That done, open the App Switcher (double tap the Home button), and slide the thumbnail below the Mail app icon towards the top of the screen.

Then enable Mail for the account again, and take a look at the Mail app.

Hope that helps.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Thanks JA, but just for your info regarding your first recommendation, it is an Outlook account, and the "unread email" counts vary on two different iPads and different still on my iPhone. (1, 4 and 7, respectively). But your recommendations may still work. There was a similar recommendation (not quite exactly the same) that I got in Apple Communities, and when I tried to log back in to report the unsuccessful attempt, that is when I started having the login problem (but that's a different can of worrms).

Given that it is an Outlook account however, I don't need to worry about losing the emails on my iOS devices (I can go look them up on the Outlook app - which is still fine when not using the iOS devices).

Thanks again,

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

If it's an Outlook account, there shouldn't be a problem when you remove the account and set it up again. Just make sure you don't set a limit for "Mail Days to Sync" when you set it up again.

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Yep, done. I had realized there was really no risk after you asked me the question about the online account (thanks). So I deleted the account on my iPhone and did a hard reset (both buttons) and recreated the account and everything was fine. I did the same thing on my iPad mini and that is now fine also, in a few minutes I will do it on my iPad Pro too and everything will be back to normal. The key to all this was your asking about the online account. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts