What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't control itunes from copying, transferring

vuduthmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an ipad 1 a few weeks ago, my first apple product. I soon returned it and bought the ipad 2, which I am using now.
I am new to itunes, and it confuses me. I downloaded itunes to my laptop, OS- Windows 7. On my laptop at itunes, I purchased a TV show. When I plug my ipad into my laptop with the ipad cable, it automatically starts "Transferring Purchases from John Doe's ipad." It's copying Nova 2, a game I'm no longer interested in. I don't want to be copying Nova 2. I just want it to move my TV show from itunes on my laptop to my ipad, so I can view it on my ipad.
Once before, I accidentally synced or something, and lost my saved games in Fieldrunners. I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible.
Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vuduthmb said:
I bought an ipad 1 a few weeks ago, my first apple product. I soon returned it and bought the ipad 2, which I am using now.
I am new to itunes, and it confuses me. I downloaded itunes to my laptop, OS- Windows 7. On my laptop at itunes, I purchased a TV show. When I plug my ipad into my laptop with the ipad cable, it automatically starts "Transferring Purchases from John Doe's ipad." It's copying Nova 2, a game I'm no longer interested in. I don't want to be copying Nova 2. I just want it to move my TV show from itunes on my laptop to my ipad, so I can view it on my ipad.
Once before, I accidentally synced or something, and lost my saved games in Fieldrunners. I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible.
Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Going from memory, been a while since i last synced :eek:

When you connect the ipad to itunes, it starts syncing, cancel it, then select your ipad in the left column, you can then choose what to sync

Hit sync when done, and it will add what you have ticked and remove anythng tha is installed that is no longer ticked

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm going to expand a bit on HegeHogLuvva's suggestion, add the details, only because I'm sitting at my computer and don't have to depend on my memory. :)

First, open iTunes preferences, it is in the iTunes menu. Go to the Devices tab and turn off auto-syncing. This will stop the iPad from syncing until you are ready.

Plug in the iPad then select it from the Devices list in iTunes. You will see a a bunch of links at the top of the page; Info, Apps, Music, etc. These are all the settings that control what you do an do not want to sync on your iPad.

Ignore the Info tab for now. If you need to sync contacts, notes, or calendars directly from your computer we can revisit it later, but there are far better ways to do this if/when the question comes up.

Go through all the other tabs. Turn off syncing for things you do not want. For the others carefully read the labels and options while selecting what you want synced. Keep an eye on the Capacity bar at the bottom to make sure you don't try and put too much on the iPad.

When you are ready, click on Sync or Apply, whichever shows.

If you purchase content directly on the iPad it is a good idea to occasionally transfer it to the iTunes library. To do this right click on the iPad under the Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases. It will move Apps, Music, TV Shows, Books, and other media to iTunes. This way if your iPad has problems your media can be re-synced after it's fixed.

If you don't have a way to backup your computer, now would be a good time to find a solution. The iTunes library can get lost, and you don't want to have to recover it from scratch, especially if you have paid content in it.

That should be enough to get you going. Read through the FAQ section, get the iPad Users's Guide (can be downloaded for free through the iBooks app), and keep an eye on the rest of the forum for more ideas and tips.

Welcome to the forum.

Most reactions