What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't back up

snikt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a PC with windows 7 fully updated. When I try to backup my ipad - either by right clicking on the device in itunes or during the sync the back up starts and then after 5 mins or so my ipad decides to reboot itself. The device drops from itunes and then reappears when the ipad has completed its reboot.
My ipod touch works fine - both back up and sync.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes.
I have tried other USB ports on my pc.
I have cleared the old backup on itunes (probably may live to regret this) as another post suggested this.
I haven't (well can't actually I think due to this problem) updated to ios5.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it actually reboot? It might be worth *actually* rebooting it manually (Switch off, then press and hold the Power and Home buttons until the white Apple logo appears). See if that has any effect.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may also have a corrupted backup file (for the iPad) in iTunes.

My suggestion is to delete the iPad backup(s) in iTunes by going to Edit > Preferences > Devices and deleting your iPad's backup (just make sure it's the iPad's you zap...). Then, after that, try running a backup again.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
S

snikt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts.
I have tried the reboot and didn't help.
I have deleted the back up in iTunes. Although I note there is a copy saved on my PC so wonder should I delete that as well.
I have since my post tried to back up using my laptop but same problem.
I have also tried different leads and again no luck.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If that backup on your PC is that iPad's, then yes, go ahead and delete it so. I should have mentioned that as well...

I hope that works because I really don't know what's going on, otherwise. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
S

snikt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I deleted after taking a copy the back up on the PC but again no luck. Thinking about though that backup was probably my iPod touch's.
I have booked a telephone cal from Apple support for Weds evening. Surprised I can't post anything on the support section to give them a background to the problem other than ticking from a very generic list nor let them know what I have tried to date. I would have thought that would help the support team member so he can had a think about the problem before ringing me.

OP
S

snikt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple support rang. After 1 1/2 hours sorted by wiping iPad and rebuilding! Thankfully everything backed upped so could restore.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted, even though you had to jump through hoops (and restore).

Thanks for the update - it's always nice to hear back on resolutions to problems.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts