What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't back up iPad mini 1

Moo90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there are two problems:
1: Have a iPad mini 1 and I can't back it up. The whole icloud space is free back it just said the iPad can't finish the back up. Tried to do it through the computer and it still won't let me
2: I only have 18 apps in the iPad. When you add the space they use it is around 2 gb, I don't have any photos or music, no Movies or videos. But I have use 12gb of my memory I have no idea in what. When I conect to the iTunes on the computer the bar at the bottom where it shows what the iPad has it shows the apps take a tini little bit and the rest is taken up by other? What the hell is other? Please help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Other" consisits of app’s downloaded data, Safari browser cache, Mail app’s cache, downloaded emails and attachments, pages for Safari’s reading list, notes, voice memos, backup files, ...

To get rid of most of it:
- go to Settings - Safari, and clear history and website data. Open Safari, remove some of the items in your reading list.
- take a look at the data your apps use in Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Storage - Manage Storage. If one of them needs quite a bit of Document & Data storage, delete and reinstall it, if possible.
- remove your email accounts and set them up again.
- remove messages from your device (Messages app).

Hopefully this will also help with your backup problem, so try backing up your device after you have done all of this.
Otherwise, take a look at Apple's instructions: If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore - Apple Support

Sometimes the Other storage contains corrupted files, and you can't remove them with the methods described above. In that case, backup your iPad and restore it using iTunes. Restore from the backup afterwards. If the backup contains the corrupted data, you'll notice that there's no significant change in the amount of Other storage. In that case, set up your iPad as new.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts