What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original iPad 1 to Mini?

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings! I was one of those on this site that received the original iPad on day 1 of delivery and have been loving it ever since. I'm now considering switching to the mini and wondered if anyone else has made that particular move?

When I checked out the comparisons about the only bad thing that was said about a switch from a full size to a mini is the loss of the retina screen. But since I don't have one on the iPad 1, and since there's more pixels on the mini - I don't think that would be a problem.

There are three main issues / areas of concern that I would like some advice / thoughts on.

First - did it drive anyone nuts going to the smaller screen? I know once I moved from the traditional iPod to the iPad - I couldn't go back.

Second - I'm considering getting a wifi only version. I rarely use more than 500mb on my ATT plan right now, and I have at least 1 1/2 gb go unused on my droid - so I can easily teather to my droid hotspot and save the $$$.

Third - with the new connector that the mini has - does it make all of my old cables, chargers and audio devices obsolete?

Thanks for the ear - dave

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On your point #3, Apple sells an adapter for that so it's a non-issue in my opinion - I'm planning to buy one since I have n iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4th gen and an iPad mini. Here's a link to the Apple store for the adapter:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

I think you'll enjoy the reduced weight with the iPad mini. I went from a netbook with a 13 inch screen to the iPad mini and I don't miss the netbook's larger screen at all.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went from the iPad 1 to iPad 3, and loved it. Then I got a mini; it's the only one I use now.

Personally, I think the screen size is better. When I pick up my iPad 3 after using the mini, I feel like the screen is too big.

I've never actually used tethering from a phone, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work.

The cables and devices couldn't just plug into the mini, but you would need to buy the $30 adapter from apple to make the old stuff work with the mini.

Overall, I think the move from a regular iPad to the mini is a great one, especially if you take you ipad everywhere when you go out. It's smaller, lighter, more portable (it actually fits in my pocket!)

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Presently, I drive an iPad 2. I will be "upgrading" to a mini in the new year after side by side comparison, in an Apple store. My test was conducted over two 30 minute sessions. If you do this - advise the Apple floor staff what you're doing and why. They will be happy to oblige.

1./ Screen size was not an issue for me as I was mentally prepared to go smaller for increased portability and ease of use (weight) over long periods of time.

Video display on the mini was noticeably crisper than on the iPad 2 (SD & HD).

iBooks was easier on the eye despite the smaller (mini) screen. Again, increased pixel density over a smaller area, improved resolution over the iPad 2.

The weight was refreshing. I use my iPad frequently for long periods of time and my arms, wrists, get tired.

2./ Personally - wifi is all you need especially if you're tethering. The savings you'll realize can be applied to storage (64GB).

3./ Unless you upgrade to an iPad 2/3 your power supply for your iPad original, will not be compatible.

Hope this helps.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Last edited:

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My situation is like sonicrobby. I had a iPad1, then got an iPad3, but switched to the mini after only 1.5 months of owning the iPad3.

I love the mini. The size is great. The display is worse than the iPad3, but better than the iPad1.

I don't think I'd get another full size iPad. The weight and size of the mini makes it so much easier to take with you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, the iPad 1 has the same pixel count as the iPad 2 and iPad mini. The mini appears sharper because the same number of pixels are squeezed into a smaller space.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking forward to ipadmini as soon as possible, I must be the earliest people to buy it in our city.
i wish i could be the earliest people to buy in our city but the 4g 32gb version of mini still cost more than us$700 and very hard to get probably until the middle of next year :(

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well - after posting in another thread a few weeks ago that I am happy still using my original Ipad, I just discovered that Santa is sending me a mini as an early Christmas present!!

So we are off to collect it tomorrow afternoon!!

Will it be easy to load all the apps and other stuff like books etc from my Ipad onto it then delete some of it from my Ipad1? I anticipate using the "big" one as a TV viewer still and using the "baby" when out and about.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Elizellen said:
Well - after posting in another thread a few weeks ago that I am happy still using my original Ipad, I just discovered that Santa is sending me a mini as an early Christmas present!!

So we are off to collect it tomorrow afternoon!!

Will it be easy to load all the apps and other stuff like books etc from my Ipad onto it then delete some of it from my Ipad1? I anticipate using the "big" one as a TV viewer still and using the "baby" when out and about.

When you get your iPad mini, do a backup of your iPad 1, then connect your iPad mini to iTunes on your computer and set it up from the backup you made. Before starting, make sure to download the latest version of iTunes onto your computer. After finishing, your new iPad should mirror the content on your iPad 1. After verifying that the set up was correctly installed without any problems, you can then start to modify the content of your iPad 1.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! that looks simple!

How do I then make sure any stuff I delete from my Old Ipad doesn't get reloaded when I next synchronise it?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1 - Yes, the smaller screen is best for reading books. It's much less than stellar for surfing the web and writing emails.
2. I agree and did the same thing.
3. No, not at all. It comes with one lightning cable and I just picked up a couple of adaptors. They are down to $4 each from Belkin now.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This probably is an obvious one, but please bear with my slow comprehension, this 63 year old brain takes time. :(

I collected my mini last night and am getting the hang of loading apps on to it and working out which ones to add. I see there is no headphone socket - does this mean there is no way to listen to my audiobooks without making my husband also listen to them?

Is there some wireless earphone I need to buy?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The headphone jack should be on the left side of the top edge when holding it in portrait mode with the home button at the bottom.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The headphone jack should be on the left side of the top edge when holding it in portrait mode with the home button at the bottom.

Blimey - I knew I should have put my specs on!!

Thank you for such a quick response.

Most reactions

Latest posts