What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't alter email settings

Osd2400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have set up a yahoo email account on my ipad and I now need to change those settings. However, all of my email account settings are grayed out in the settings window such that I can't change any of my configured email accounts. Does anyone have advice on how to fix the problem?
Thanks,

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I saw your question about being unable to change your email settings. Rather than changing the existing settings could you delete your existing accounts and simply set up new ones? Sorry if I've misunderstood your question. If there are other issues - i.e. you can't even enter new account information - try 'power recycling' the iPad, turning it completely off by holding down the Power button for a couple of seconds, accepting the 'slider control' and, when the screen has gone completely blank, hold the Power button down again for a couple of seconds. It takes about 10 seconds for it to power back up again so have patience!! Hope this helps but if there's still a problem, don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
O

Osd2400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions, however neither power cycling nor deleting the email accounts worked. In fact all items under the account settings (email) are grayed out so I can't even select the entries for my existing accounts or add a new account.

Not really sure what to do.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Jim harrald

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions, however neither power cycling nor deleting the email accounts worked. In fact all items under the account settings (email) are grayed out so I can't even select the entries for my existing accounts or add a new account.

Not really sure what to do.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Jim harrald

Have a look at 'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions', 'Allow Changes', 'Account' -> is this set to 'On', otherwise you can't make any email account changes.

Should have thought of this first of all!!!

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have some restrictions set up under Settings >> General >> Restrictions. You can disable the ability to change account settings there, among other things.

Hopefully you remember the four digit code you used to set the restrictions. You'll need it to unlock and make changes. Or if someone else did it I hope you know who to track down and ask.

joomakramjutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that your computer has specific identifying mechanisms,(internally) like the IP address and other things like that. I need to change the name of my computer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that your computer has specific identifying mechanisms,(internally) like the IP address and other things like that. I need to change the name of my computer.

If you want to change the name of your iPad, then I believe this can only be done using iTunes. You can change the name there and then resync your iPad with iTunes. The name of your iPad will be updated.

Hope this helps - other members may have more detailed information or other suggestions.

Have fun

Tim
Scotland

OP
O

Osd2400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sounds like you may have some restrictions set up under Settings >> General >> Restrictions. You can disable the ability to change account settings there, among other things.

Hopefully you remember the four digit code you used to set the restrictions. You'll need it to unlock and make changes. Or if someone else did it I hope you know who to track down and ask.

You recently responded to a question I had posted about email settings. Turns out that restrictions are set but I don't know the passcode and have run through every permutation of pass codes I can think of. Have any suggestions of how to reset?

Thanks for the info,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You recently responded to a question I had posted about email settings. Turns out that restrictions are set but I don't know the passcode and have run through every permutation of pass codes I can think of. Have any suggestions of how to reset?

To the best of my knowledge the only way to reset the passcode is to restore the whole iPad, but maybe someone else knows a way. Be sure you've got a good backup, have transferred purchases from the iPad, and done a sync before restoring the iPad.

If you haven't done so already you may want to ask your question in the iPad Help forum. You'll get more views, and a better chance of a better answer.

OP
O

Osd2400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
To the best of my knowledge the only way to reset the passcode is to restore the whole iPad, but maybe someone else knows a way. Be sure you've got a good backup, have transferred purchases from the iPad, and done a sync before restoring the iPad.

If you haven't done so already you may want to ask your question in the iPad Help forum. You'll get more views, and a better chance of a better answer.

Will try the help forum. Thanks again.

8BitTurtle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!!!

This is the only place that had the answers i needed. Thank you!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts