What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't access Manage Payments on an iPad 2

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was given an old iPad, but it gives me unhelpful error messages whenever trying to buy something from the App Store. So I'm trying to check the payment information I added when I first tried to use the store.

The payment information (VISA card) looks correct when I check it on appleid.apple.com.

When I go into Settings -> iTunes and App Store -> Apple ID -> Account and press Manage Payments, I get the password dialog. So I input the password, but then it just returns to the Account page after a couple of seconds. I tried resetting the iPad and configuring it again, but I get the same result.

Is the iPad to old to work properly, or could this be a software corruption issue? It's running iOS 9.3.5, which seems to be the latest supported version for this model.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can’t edit your payment information in an iOS version that old. Check on a newer device to see if your payment info is sill correct for iTunes and the App Store.

Which specific error messages are you getting? Sometimes the type of error message received can point to the actual cause of the problem.

OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can’t edit your payment information in an iOS version that old. Check on a newer device to see if your payment info is sill correct for iTunes and the App Store.
Right. I don't have any other Apple devices. But I did try to manage payments in the account settings in iTunes, the same thing happens there. After typing the password I just end up at the account page again.

Which specific error messages are you getting? Sometimes the type of error message received can point to the actual cause of the problem.
When trying to buy something in the App Store I get a message saying that I have to go to Apple ID setttings and confirm my payment information.

OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to explain, the payment manager doesn't open for me. Must be something weird with my account. I created it yesterday, maybe it needs to be manually approved or something.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you already tried to access your account on a computer? Your first post talks about trying to access your account in Settings on your iPad but doesn’t mention using a computer to access your account,

OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I tried in iTunes on Windows.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to explain, the payment manager doesn't open for me. Must be something weird with my account. I created it yesterday, maybe it needs to be manually approved or something.

Hello Torhu - now, I'm sure this may not be the issue, but check this Apple Support Article to make sure that the previous owner of the iPad followed all of the guidelines when giving away or selling an iPad. Dave :)

OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Torhu - now, I'm sure this may not be the issue, but check this Apple Support Article to make sure that the previous owner of the iPad followed all of the guidelines when giving away or selling an iPad. Dave :)
Thanks, I will try it out when I get the chance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The email address has to be verified. Have you done that? Apple should have sent an email to your address to make sure it exists and belongs to you.
If you didn’t receive or find it, follow these directions:
If you didn't receive your verification or reset email

OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After changing the password I was able to verify my payment information using iTunes on Windows. Maybe the password was compromised. But still no luck on the iPad.

I bought a song in iTunes just to test. But now I can't access the Manage Payments page anymore. This is getting weird.

APPEND: But I still haven't checked if the iPad is still listed as a trusted device on the previous owner's Apple ID.

Last edited:
OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad isn't listed as a trusted device on the old account, so that's not the issue. Apple support didn't seem to have a clue about this issue, unfortunately.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad isn't listed as a trusted device on the old account, so that's not the issue. Apple support didn't seem to have a clue about this issue, unfortunately.

That’s not good. But keep at it. They should escalate the issue until it’s solved.

OP
T

torhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to post an update on this. I talked to Apple suport again, and they basically told me that this model is too old.

Most reactions

Latest posts