What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot send mail

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I was advised by Microsoft to change the my password in my email account which is hotmail.co.uk. This I did and subsequently had to change the password on my IPad mail account in order to access mail on the IPad. Whilst I can download mail to my inbox I cannot now send emails. When I try to send I get the message " Cannot send Mail the user name or password for SMTP (email address)@smpt.live.com is incorrect. I have tried cancelling the account on my IPad and then setting up again with the new hotmail password but the status is the same. Mail can download but mail cannot be sent. Any suggestions as to the problem/ solutions please. Bob.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which of these options did you use to set up the account when you reinstalled it?

image-3997388385.jpg

If you didn't set it up with Outlook.com, then try it this time. Maybe it will solve your problem.

Some accounts allow to choose a different Outgoing (SMTP) account/server in the Advanced email account settings. (Not if you set it up as Outlook or Exchange account). Maybe you should look there.

If nothing of these help:

Restart your iPad: turn it off, wait for a few minutes and turn it on again.
Reset it: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let the iPad power up.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you JA, I have tried all of your suggestions but the status has not changed. I cannot send emails only receive them. Have you any further thoughts please.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to access the account from a browser, look at your settings there, make sure everything is as it should be. Delete the account once more in Settings - Mails, ..., and set it up using the Outlook option.

Next idea: reset your network settings in Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. Set up Wi-Fi (and cellular?) again and see if this solves your problem.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried them all Johanna but to no avail this is so frustrating as there has to be a simple reason for this anomaly. Thanks for trying to help. Anyone else out there to solve this problem.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a second email account set up on your iPad?
I just remembered that my Outlook account sometimes tries to send through another SMTP server/email account and fails. When I send an email, I have to make sure that it's the Outlook account that sends the email, not the one from my internet service provider.

If everything fails, contact Microsoft/Outlook support. They should be able to help.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved, it appears that when new on setting up,the iPad automatically inserts the password from your email account into the password for the SMTP server. I assumed the same would happen on a change of password but it does not. The new SMTP password has to be inserted manually. Thanks for all the help from forum members.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad your problem is fixed, and thanks for posting the solution. It might help another member with the same issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts