What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cannot send emails

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi,
It appears since the latest update any email I send goes to my outbox instead of being sent. I have checked all my settings and nothing has changed.
Is this a common problem or just me?
some advice please.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I have mail go to my outbox it means that the email hasn't finished being sent. This usually happens when I'm sending an email with large attachments. When it's finished sending it shows up in the sent folder.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
hi,
It appears since the latest update any email I send goes to my outbox instead of being sent. I have checked all my settings and nothing has changed.
Is this a common problem or just me?.........

Hello - just a few questions to start: 1) Assume you updated to iOS v.12.1.4; and 2) Are you using the native iOS Mail app? And some further information might help: 1) What mail host are you using, e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, and/or others; 2) Who is you ISP and how do you get the internet, i.e. cable, DSL, satellite, or dialup?

My first suspicion is that your mail host may have been down - happened to me after a macOS update - my Mac Mail went Offline for about 6 hours; however, so did my other computers not updated and also my iPad - I use Yahoo as my mail host and could get onto their web-based service, so suspected their servers were down for a bit - could that be the explanation for you? If so, your mail should be back - let us know.

In the meantime, are you having issues w/ other devices using the same email service? Have you tried you iPad elsewhere, e.g. at a Starbucks? If still a problem, then 'power recycle' your modem and router (may be in one unit) which often solves these issues. Good luck. Dave :)

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
Thanks for your reply,
yes the latest ios, I use the apple mail app, my email host is Plusnet which is also my BB supplier via DSL.
I also have other devices ie laptop, desktop, with these I use microsoft outlook and plusnet webmail these work ok it's just the ipad that's playing up. I have checked all the settings even cancelled the mail account then reinstalled but this makes no difference.

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I didn’t ... would this make a difference? My other devices work ok.

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi this is not my first post on this subject but having checked and rechecked my settings with respect to mail on my ipad It still will not send emails, it does recieve but a composed email goes straight into my outbox when I tap send.
This problem has come out of the blue and seems to have happened when I updated to ios 12. I have been tinkering with the mail settings, been online for advice, posted on this forum but still no joy. Has anyone else experienced this? if so did you get it sorted.
My ISP is plusnet and I use the Webmail service so I use their server setting's with Mail on my ipad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve moved your new post to the existing thread. Not only will it show members what has been suggested before, they will also see the information you’ve already provided. It will be more likely to solve your issue when everything isn’t scattered “to the four winds”.
Please keep the discussion of this issue to this thread only.

There has been an update in the meantime: 12.1.4. Maybe updating once more will help.
Another option would be to remove the email account from your iPad and set it up again.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
yes the latest ios, I use the apple mail app, my email host is Plusnet which is also my BB supplier via DSL.
I also have other devices ie laptop, desktop, with these I use microsoft outlook and plusnet webmail these work ok it's just the ipad that's playing up. I have checked all the settings even cancelled the mail account then reinstalled but this makes no difference.

This problem has come out of the blue and seems to have happened when I updated to ios 12. I have been tinkering with the mail settings..........................
My ISP is plusnet and I use the Webmail service so I use their server setting's with Mail on my ipad.

Hello again - since you upgraded to iOS 12.x, I'm assuming your iPad model is an Air or newer - correct? As suggested, you should now update to 12.1.4 - might help? As to your Plusnet account, is this an ISP in the UK? If so, other members w/ the same ISP could 'chime in' and offer advice - any information can be helpful. Also, as already suggested several times, did you 'power recycle' your modem/router?

You state that 'I use the Webmail service' (as HERE)? Is this their web-based mail service signed in through a browser w/ a user name and PW? Do you also use the native iOS mail app, in which you would need to enter Plusnet's POP or IMAP incoming server and their SMTP server for outgoing mail, as shown below (LINK) - please clarify so we can all be 'on the same page' - thanks. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 11.03.02 AM.png

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi giradman,
As stated I use Plusnet a uk based IPS, I sign in with user name and PW. I use this through the native IOS mail app, both plusnet servers are configured correctly, I use POP incoming. My settings are as you have displayed above.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi giradman,
As stated I use Plusnet a uk based IPS, I sign in with user name and PW. I use this through the native IOS mail app, both plusnet servers are configured correctly, I use POP incoming. My settings are as you have displayed above.

Well, did you 'power recycle' your modem/router? Is the iPad now on the latest iOS (i.e. 12.1.4)? And, have you tried to use IMAP? Not sure any of this will help but will do no harm - hopefully other members in the UK using the same ISP will 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again,
Yes I’ve done all that, tried imap.

Well, I'm running out of ideas - but just curious if you've tried your ISP's web-based login service, shown below (at the URL on the top), i.e. can you enter and send emails from there? This happens to me occasionally when the Yahoo servers for my iPad 'go down', I can still review and send email by logging into 'mail.yahoo.com' - may not help, but there might be settings there that impact your iPad?

My only other suggestions at the moment would be to contact your ISP, if not already done, and if of no help, try to visit an Apple store if one is nearby? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 12.27.17 PM.png

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can send and view emails via my ISP’s webmail service and I used to able to on my iPad then this problem started and it seems to have happnd since I updated from ISO 11 to 12, all my ISP offer is a tutorial how to set up email, I don’t need that. My local apple store is appox 35 miles away so not that close.
I am a seasoned computer user but this simple problem has got me baffled. Many thanks for you advice.
Regards
Brian

Most reactions

Latest posts