What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can you play avi/mp4 files on ipad2?

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,

the answer is probably no but hey - thought id ask :)

cheers
dan

srobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, i use an app called "reeldirector" awesome.

You have to hook up the ipad to your comp and drop the movies into the app, not just into movvies section.

Well worth the 5 bucks, havent had a single avi or mpeg it couldnt play.

Edit: My bad man, i totally meant AVPlayer HD, reeldirector is the imovie alternative, not a player sorry.

Last edited:

Mac.World

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AV Player HD

Utilizes swipe gestures, can play avi, mkv, just about any file format out there, can delete files once viewed (no need to hook up to a computer), can wirelessly transfer files if you wish, can adjust and utilize subtitles, can project onto tv in hd format, can adjust aspect ratios (I.e. 4:3, 16:9, etc...)

Best app to watch videos in any format, bar none!

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for av player hd. It plays a lot of files, I threw an mkv file at it that's 720p and it played it flawlessly! Divx, Xvid, Avi, MP4, Mkv I have played all with no stuttering, lag or sync issues what so ever. It's an awesome app!

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use ivi from the App Store .... purchased the Pro version from the makers website so I could get the files off DVD's as well.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Buzz Player HD but GoodPlayer, AVPlayer, OPlayer and others work just fine too.

jojo728

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to hook up the ipad to your comp and drop the movies into the app, not just into movvies section.

What if you just drop the movies into the Movies section of the iPad 2? How will I be able to play it using AVPlayer HD?

After downloading the app, there is a setting for transferring movies via Wi-Fi and the transfer rate is quite fast.

Last edited:

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys sold me on the AV player HD, thanks!! Been looking for an app that can play all the various formats...

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does AV Player HD support selection of a audio track from a few available in AVI or MKV file?

Does AV Player HD support multiple subtitles? Let's say if a file has fiew languages of subtitles, can I select the one I want?

Does AV Player HD support external ysubtitles (srt files downloaded from the internet)?

----

I just found a discussion about this player and can't decide do I need to reencode all my videos to mp4, or should I buy a AV Player HD which supports AVI. But still selection of audio track and titles is my concern.

Most reactions

Latest posts