What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you move files (ppt, word, excel epub) from your pc to the ipad 2?

Jennyc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If so, how?

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do it in iTunes. In the left panel, click on your iPad's name (should be something like Joe's iPad or whatever). In the main panel on the right, you'll see "Apps". Click on it and scroll to the bottom. You'll see a list of a few apps depending on what you have installed. Choose the one you'd like to be able to open it in and add the file.

Definitely one of my least favorite things to do.

OP
J

Jennyc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do it in iTunes. In the left panel, click on your iPad's name (should be something like Joe's iPad or whatever). In the main panel on the right, you'll see "Apps". Click on it and scroll to the bottom. You'll see a list of a few apps depending on what you have installed. Choose the one you'd like to be able to open it in and add the file.

Definitely one of my least favorite things to do.

What apps can you open and view files in besides goodreader?

i thought that was solely a pdf reader. I would like to view my word documents and epub files on the ipad.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks reads epub. I think you add them into your library normally once you've installed it (File > Add files to library, something like that).

GoodReaders reads a lot of files, including .doc, .ppt, etc. I think it even reads zip files. You just can't edit them. Pages is my preferred word processor, but it's also the only one I've tried. I don't think it reads the new Office extensions though (.docx, .pptx, etc). I could be wrong.

Last edited:

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If so, how?

You will need some app like Godocs or quickoffice or something similar to have your office files on iPad, I'm using Godocs and it works perfectly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks reads epub. I think you add them into your library normally once you've installed it (File > Add files to library, something like that).

GoodReaders reads a lot of files, including .doc, .ppt, etc. I think it even reads zip files. You just can't edit them. Pages is my preferred word processor, but it's also the only one I've tried. I don't think it reads the new Office extensions though (.docx, .pptx, etc). I could be wrong.

Pages will read .docx, Keynote will read .pptx and Numbers will read .xlsx.

However, they will only export in .doc, .ppt and .xls respectively and all can also export in .pdf

You can read about their capabilities in the Apple iWorks for iPad Help pages

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

Tim

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If so, how?

The best option for moving them is Dropbox. You simply copy or save them to the My Dropbox folder in My Documents and pick them up in the Dropbox app on you iPad. Several apps like GoodReader also integrate Dropbox so you can open any file stored in Dropbox in GoodReader. It's free for up to 2Gb of files.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Documents To Go for Office documents. There's a desktop app, or you can use box.net or DropBox, or e-mail or...

Search the app store for a PDF program. There are some that are free and even provide minor mark up options.

Most reactions

Latest posts