What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone post photos of what the iPad Air 2 looks like in direct sunlight?

CGameProgrammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to use the tablet for typing or handwriting/drawing while in direct sunlight. So I'd be seeing high-contrast black on white (or vice versa). But I've read mixed things about whether or not the screen can be viewed outdoors in direct sunlight and have not been able to find a single review or video where they show the screen in sunlight. Would anyone mind taking a picture of it lying on the ground outdoors in sunlight? I can't find any stores where I can take one outside.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Very few tablets work well in direct sunlight. The technology just isn't up to it. The exceptions are the ones using e-ink, but they are only good for mostly static displays, like reading books; like Amazon's Paper White Kindle. Amazon's LCD based Fire tablet is no better in the sun than any other make.

Some laptops do a bit better, mostly because the larger batteries let them put in much more powerful backlights. Even then, I've never seen a laptop that was a pleasure to use in bright sun light.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Barely passable in direct sunlight you can see it but got squint for fine details. OK for taking pictures but nor for making a spreadsheet.I'm not sure that you would want ot use it for the activities you described in direct sunlight as you will likely cathc a sunburn ...;)

OP
C

CGameProgrammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that with it at max brightness and with auto-brightness enabled? With some devices, auto-brightness actually lets it become brighter than the alleged maximum if it's in sunlight.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is that with it at max brightness and with auto-brightness enabled? With some devices, auto-brightness actually lets it become brighter than the alleged maximum if it's in sunlight.
Even at maximum brightness a backlit LCD screen simply doesn't perform well in direct sunlight on a battery-powered device. The best you can hope for, for your needs, is to camp out in the shade.

OP
C

CGameProgrammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My intention is to use it in an open-cockpit aircraft, largely for writing down instructions from ATC but also for maps etc. Don't really have a choice on location. My phone is very legible even in direct sunlight so I'm just looking for a tablet that is too.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Worst case, Apple has a 15 day no question return policy. (double check this in case my information is out of date).

I don't normally like the idea of getting a device before I know I'll keep it, but in your case that might be the way to go. Do a little planning, pick a sunny day and give it a test.

Or, if you've got iPad owning friends (or fellow pilots) I'm sure they would make a quick loan.

A picture really isn't going to give you a good idea of how easy/hard the tablet is to using in those conditions. Cameras don't work like eyes. To get a picture of what a screen looks like would require exposing the tablet just right, not automatically, and even then the eye's greater range of light sensitivity means the best camera shot will still under or over play how well your eye will do in the same lighting.

A live test is the only way to go, especially for something as specific as you want.

That said, I've heard several stories of small craft pilots using iPads, so it's obviously possible. The real question is whether it will be good enough for you.

Most reactions

Latest posts