What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Roku be used to stream movies on iPad2 to a non-Apple TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2, I have Amazon's Prime, which allows movies to be streamed to my iPad. I have found that you cannot stream those movies to the TV using an HDMI cable. However, if I buy Roku, can I stream the Amazon Prime movies from my iPad to the non-Apple TV via the Roku?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad2, I have Amazon's Prime, which allows movies to be streamed to my iPad. I have found that you cannot stream those movies to the TV using an HDMI cable. However, if I buy Roku, can I stream the Amazon Prime movies from my iPad to the non-Apple TV via the Roku?

Hi Tadd - you really don't need to worry about using the iPad (although there is an app that simulates the Roku remote and is recommended) - I have a Roku device attached to my HDTV - the Roku receives a Wi-Fi signal from my wireless router; I stream movies & TV shows directly from the Roku device - SO, if you have a Wi-Fi router & a Roku attached to your TV, then no need for the iPad (unless you like the remote app). Now if I'm missing the meaning of your question, please reply - Dave

ADDENDUM: If you are planning on obtaining a Roku, then you might want to compare to the 'Apple TV', same principle but w/ different offerings - importantly, the Apple TV will allow Air Play which will let you use your iPad w/ the TV wirelessly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions