What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Keynote display widescreen via airplay?

MuddyPaws1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First post, need help.

I want to deliver a keynote presentation using my iPad2 and an Apple TV. The keynote has been developed on a Mac and is formatted for widescreen display via a projector.

Every time I transfer it over to the iPad and try to airplay it, it is 4:3 and has black lines on the side. It also moves all the info on the slides into the 4:3 format. I don't mean squeezes it. it moves everything in from both sides and this makes things overlap.

Now movies airplay in widescreen and some games and aps will also. Is there something I am doing wrong?

OP
M

MuddyPaws1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess that's my answer eh? LOL

152 views and no answers.

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had Apple TV set up for about 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two. Change the aspect ratio on your TV. Since the iPad and TV are not exactly the same size, I would think that the software creates the replication of the ipad within the confines of your TV size or whatever you are using. Ever seen a movie at a theater and then on an old school TV? It's like that.... Try adjusting the "view mode" on the output device, but you are going to get some distortion, obviously.

pivek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes the projector itself locks the capacity to display widescreen resolutions. Did you find any fix for this? .. please let us know

OP
M

MuddyPaws1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No fix. It's not a projector issue. When you open a Keynote on the iPad it does not bring in the slide size properly. I know the iPad isn't widescreen but it should being the preso in with the right slide size and just display it with black bars top and bottom. But it doesn't. No matter what slide size you select when creating it on the computer, the iPad changes it to 800x600.

So if you create it on the computer in 1280x720 and use all the extra side to side space, all that info gets moved to the center. Not squished in. Moved in. So graphics overlap. Makes airplay useless for presentations.

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What type of projector? I'm using one right now, and I have a few others that I could try.

OP
M

MuddyPaws1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have it in front of me but when testing with an Apple Tv connected to a 48 inch Sanyo tv it doesn't display widescreen either. If I run a Keynote, it displays 4:3. If I play a movie, it plays widescreen.

OP
M

MuddyPaws1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Print the presentation as a PDF file.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig (not JB'ed) / using iPF

What good would that do? I'm not looking to make a hand out, i am looking to make a presentation.

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I meant convert the file to a PDF electronic file. It can be done with some printer apps. You obviously lose any animation but works fine for simple presentation.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig (not JB'ed) / using iPF

Last edited:

it_Tomato

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not a keynote but free app can autoscale pptx to 720 plasma - like ipresent or smth - 10 slides for free it s nice.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IME, the only time air play will pass widescreen is when you are playing a movie. If you open keynote you are basically just mirroring the screen, so you aren't going to get widescreen.

One workaround would be to actually make a movie from the presentation (on the MAC)...with timing for each slide. then you'd write to a movie format...then when you play back, you see widescreen. With the timing, you then would "perform" for each slide, using a script and getting your details said within a given time. You'd have to pause for questions.

IME, most business class projectors don't handle widescreen, so I usually stay in the 4:3 format.

Most reactions

Latest posts