What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I upload and play .MOV files on iPad Air?

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a .MOV file I would like to show folks. I would like to upload it to my iPad Air.

How can I upload the file?
What would it play on?
Do I need to download a player?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a camera connection cable, you can put the file onto a USB drive (into a folder called DCIM - the file name must have exactly 8 characters, without spaces) and import the video to the iPad this way. You'll find it in the Photos app after importing.

You can import it to your iPad using iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12493

You can also use online storage to get it to your device. Afaik Dropbox and OneDrive can open these files themselves, maybe others are able to do it as well.

There are apps that can do it, such as this one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-transfer-easy-file-sharing/id521595136?mt=8

Hope that helps.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna

I had tried iTunes but it did not upload the .MOV into the Photos folder.

OneDrive does the trick - after a bit of mumbling into its beard it will finally access the video in full.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you used iTunes on the computer to import and sync a movie/video to the iPad, the movie will be found in the Videos app, not the Photos app.

Good luck.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you used iTunes on the computer to import and sync a movie/video to the iPad, the movie will be found in the Videos app, not the Photos app.

I just "synced" my iPad Air and my PC which should have uploaded two MP4 files to the iPad. They are nowhere to be found, not in "Photos" and not in "Videos".:(

Was I naughty in a previous life, or is there a more scientific explanation? ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have the Movies section set up to sync movies when the iPad is connected. You can only see this tab when the iPad is connected and selected in iTunes on the computer.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Can you see and play the movies in iTunes on the computer?

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where do my movies have to be on my PC to get sent to the iPad?
I see iTunes wanting to sync "all" movies and the thought fills me with dread. There isn't enough memory on the iPad to hold all the videos on my PC :eek:!!! There must be some way to have a choice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The movies must be imported into iTunes and visible in the Movies Library. Please excuse me if I've got the term slightly confused.

In the Movie Sync tab there should be options to sync all or sync selected movies.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a key - it works for me, anyway

Place the videos in a folder in the same main folder as the photos you sync.
Connect iPad to PC (USB).
After automatic sync click on iPad button.
Click on Movies and mark thus.
Videos appear in the folder as you names it under Photos --> Albums.

I guess it changes for different iPads and versions of iTunes. This worked for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

That's OneDrive. I was talking about the options in iTunes on the computer. That's why I asked if you could see and play the movie in iTunes on the computer.

Hmm, looks like they've changed the selection options slightly, but you can still select individual movies to sync, or use the second tool to limit the number.

MoviesSync.jpg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a key - it works for me, anyway

Place the videos in a folder in the same main folder as the photos you sync.
Connect iPad to PC (USB).
After automatic sync click on iPad button.
Click on Movies and mark thus.
Videos appear in the folder as you names it under Photos --> Albums.

I guess it changes for different iPads and versions of iTunes. This worked for me.

That will work if you want the movies in the Photos app, and if you are happy with that all's good. It's also the method you need to use if you want to include the video in your iMovies projects or content creation apps, like Keynote.

If you want a more video/movie watching experience the iTunes sync method will place the files in the Videos app.

There are also third party apps like OPlayer, AVPlayer, and VLS that will import and play most media file types.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Good enough then.

I see that what I thought was a link/picture of OneDrive is actually a screen shot of iTunes being stored on One Drive.

In that picture, all you have to do is uncheck the 'Automatically Include' box and checkboxes appear next to each movie, letting you select them individually.

Most reactions

Latest posts