What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sync just upload...

KathTheCamera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Having downloaded several iPad video clips from the iPad, edited them into a (so so) video, i want to upload the edited file from my Win 8.1 PC back to the iPad. ITunes seemed determined to sync all the photos that happened to be in the video folder, but ignored the video.

Is it too much to ask to be able to upload one file one way?

Ta

K

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos app is very picky about the video formats. Unless you need to include the video in a project on the iPad, I suggest you import the video directly into iTunes, using the Import options in the Files menu, then use the settings under the Movie tab to sync to the iPad.

Your Movie will show up in the Videos app on the iPad, which is a better viewing experience than Photo's anyway.

If you need to include the movie in another app's projects, such as Keynote, you'll probably have to convert the video to a .mov file. There are several threads on how to convert videos for better iPad compatibility, but I'm afraid I don't have any of them in my links.

Good luck.

OP
K

KathTheCamera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, the version of iTunes does I have installed not seem to have an import file option. However, this is probably user error as I have yet to fully understand the logic of the various screens that emerge.

I have managed to use sync to get stuff up to the iPad, but I was probably wrong to think that the Albums I was creating in Photos were real rather than virtual. Having 'copied' stuff into albums, removing the original file (i.e. cut and past concept) seems to remove all instances of the file. Just to annoy (amuse?) I notice that the stuff I have uploaded does not seem subject to the same comands as stuff created on the iPad. The latter uploaded (synced) my edited video to 'Films' and now the sytem will not let me move it to videos (AKA photos) where it belongs...

I have also tried one of the 'File Manager' apps that are advertised and it seems that they do not actually interface with the iPad's file structure. It looks as if they create and use a structure quite separately. Ho hum!

Regards

K

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photos synced using iTunes can not be edited or deleted. You have to make changes in the synced folders or the sync settings, then sync again. The purpose of this method is not to simply copy photos to your iPad, but to sync photos between the iPad and computer; keeping the folders/albums the same in both places.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

It's best used as a kind of permanent photo album. Something you'd show your relatives, whenever you can trap them in a corner. :)

Albums created in Photos on the iPad are linked albums. They do not move or copy the photos. Instead you are creating a kind of playlist for photos, for viewing purposes. The original photos stay where they were. Deleting them will delete them from both the Camera Roll and the album.

You might use this to create a semi-temporary collection of photos, perhaps to show your 'trapped' co-worker the newest pictures of you kitten, without having to show them the entire Camera Roll.

If you want permanent albums I offer two choices.

One: A third party app like Photo Manger Pro. On the plus side, you have a lot more control over how your albums are organized and displayed. On the minus side, albums are completely separate from Photos' Camera Roll. They will not be available to other apps, unless you export them to the Camera Roll first.

You can also use Shared Photo Streams. These are albums stored in your iCloud account, shared or not, and can be synced to any of your iOS devices. Unlike the Photo Stream itself, they are permanent. They do not cost you any iCloud storage space; though there are some (very generous) limits to number of photos and albums.

The down side is that they are a bit more trouble to create and manage than the other album types in Photos.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5903

Most reactions

Latest posts