What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I transfer/view iBooks on Windows PC?

gsetnes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Questions:

1. Can I transfer iBook purchases to a regular Windows 7.0 or Windows XP/Vista computer and view them? (And, if so, what format are they in?)
  2. Can I transfer Kindle purchased books to a regular Windows PC and then migrate them to be viewable in the iBooks software on my iPad?
I've been a PC user and developer for over 20+ years and just last weekend picked up an iPad for my wife to read books and to access internet content. Thus, I didn't think the Kindle was an option at this point.

Anyway, between the two I so far like the iBooks because of how Highlighting, Notes and Bookmarks work. I read a lot of computer books and I love how I can highlight text using iBooks. I know Kindle can do it to, but I don't like how it works. Just not as nice.

Anyway, I notice that Kindle eBooks can be downloaded to PCs and viewed on just about any type of hardware, maybe even my DroidX phone and iPad. Since I'm so new to the Apple world, I figured I'd post my question here.

I've always been very non-Apple because they lock out other competitors out (for the sake of technology, not anti-competition I understand), severely limiting my choices in content and price, so even though it appears Kindle Books will work fine on Apple's iPad, I don't know if the iPad can be downloaded to my PC and viewed there and/or even added to a Kindle should I choose to get that as well.

If anyone can point me in the right direction so that I can make a final decision on whether to give Apple's iBooks a chance I would be very grateful. I need people out there to sell me on the whole Apple revolution.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as things stand now, iBooks can only be purchased on an Apple mobile device and viewed on an Apple mobile device.

As far as the Kindle stuff, you would have to unwrap or strip the DRM from the file which would make it a generic "ePub" that could then be viewed with the iBooks app. A friend of mine told me that he found lots of references to stripping the DRM from Kindle books by using any one of the popular search engines on the web. IOW, you won't find the specific instructions on how to do this on this forum!

And for the record, I agree that the iBook presentation is better that the Kindle presentation, but no one comes close to touching Amazon in terms of being a content provider.

OP
G

gsetnes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to try to strip off the DRM, because after buying a few books from iBooks I found I was buying some Titles I really didn't 100% want. I'm a software developer and I have quite a few options when it comes to Amazon/Kindle, but iBooks is a joke. To bad for Applie, their "OPEN ATTITUDE" managed to loose them about $300 in book sales that went to Amazon.

I'm going to try and do what you suggest and see if I can strip away the DRM and get the book to work in iBooks. Because the Kindle App just isn't any good for bookmarks, highlights and notes. Of which I do not understand. For as big as Kindle is in the market one would think they'd have the "best" app, but no such luck.

Heck, they don't even show the page number your on. Even for the changed font size you don't have a page number. They give number/location ranges like 171-176. What's that supposed to mean? LOL.

Now, off to find a DRM Stipper I guess...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What makes Amazon #1 is the selection, definitely not the app!

Moderators Hint: If you find a way to unwrap the DRM from iBooks, DO NOT post it on any of the open forums!

patel4500

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can download an Adobe program to view the books on a PC using Adobe Digital Editions

patel4500

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stanza will work with ibooks, kindle, pdf, etc. It also allows you to convert the files from one form to another. Such as making a pdf into an ibook

zubo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this supported or working

You can also download Stanza Desktop

seemed good to me... I have bought a number of books through my ipad but I too need to read them on a win 7 pc.

I downloaded and installed Stanza Desktop... with Bonjour in case it needs it... I start it... it says select Open to open a book but I select File Open and NOTHING happens....

an additional question to the previous poster.... how does it access my ibooks store????

all I want to do is read and copy paste code from a book I have bought on Apple ibooks.... don't think I'll be buying anymore from there...

Most reactions

Latest posts