What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I switch Mac to pc without losing data?

snivijamie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. My MacBook just died and I'm wondering if I can plug my ipad into my wife's pc laptop without having to reformat. I am a photographer and will be shooting a wedding tomorrow. During the reception I will need to upload some images to the ipad and may not have internet access. I know I can back everything up on my iMac before making the switch but I was just hoping I can go between the two for this weekend until I have a chance to buy a new MacBook next week. Is this possible?

Thanks!

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fortunately, I think you are in luck here. Plugging an iPad into the USB port of a PC (at least mine, windows 7 and 8) allows drag-and-drop of pictures onto the DCIM folder (and only that folder...no other file access is provided).

For broader file sharing with a PC via USB cable, you will need to use iTunes or download an app (often with corresponding program for PC) for sharing of files between the two. I happen to use fileapp pro for this.

For pictures, though, I think this will work out well for you.

Last edited:

Most reactions