What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I roll back my iOS?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
have seen a lot of threads about rolling back the os to the next earlier one---usually when something was wrong with the current iOS installation.

My problem is somewhat different, and I haven't been able to find an answer.

I am currently running 5.1, but am finding that my iPad is running like molasses on a January morning in Alaska. I think one problem is all those upgrades in various apps to "better take advantage of the retina screen", which my iPad of course isn't even in sniffing distance of.

So here is the question: can I roll back the os to 4.xx and restore the versions of my critical apps from that vintage?

Apparently, planned obsolence is a real fact of life with the iPad!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a general rule, no, unfortunately, you cannot "roll back" the iOS. Once Apple has released a new version, and closed the signing window, all on the new version have to stay there.

If you have been saving SHSH blobs for a particular version of 4.x, and you have an iPad that fits certain criteria, then it may be possible to downgrade the iOS. To answer that definitively, though, we will need to know which iPad version you have - and if you've been saving blobs.

So, if you've saved blobs, let us know the particulars of your iPad and we can see if it can be downgraded. However, if you've not saved any blobs, then there is no downgrade possible. Sorry.

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If rolling back your OS isn't an option have you tried closing all your apps completely and restarting/resetting your iPad? It's like doing some housekeeping on your iPad and generally helps it to run smoothly. Its also an idea to clear out your history and cookies in Safari to free up as much ram as you can. Settings - Safari. Give it a try and see how you go.

From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, I do mine every night.

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

Let us know if this makes any difference at all for you.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
leelai said:
If rolling back your OS isn't an option have you tried closing all your apps completely and restarting/resetting your iPad? It's like doing some housekeeping on your iPad and generally helps it to run smoothly. Its also an idea to clear out your history and cookies in Safari to free up as much ram as you can. Settings - Safari. Give it a try and see how you go.

From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, I do mine every night.

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

Let us know if this makes any difference at all for you.

Thanks for the advice, leelai.

Yes, these things sure do speed me up quite a bit. I was surprised, though, that I had to manually close essentially every app on my iPad. Apparently they simply accumulate until you clean house!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tuttle said:
Thanks for the advice, leelai.

Yes, these things sure do speed me up quite a bit. I was surprised, though, that I had to manually close essentially every app on my iPad. Apparently they simply accumulate until you clean house!

I came across an iPad 1 this week that had memory crash problems. I found that the owner did not know about the multitask list. In consequence ever app that had ever been open, was still open. No more memory crashes now they've all been closed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I came across an iPad 1 this week that had memory crash problems. I found that the owner did not know about the multitask list. In consequence ever app that had ever been open, was still open. No more memory crashes now they've all been closed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yep. Apparently the case with me too. Oh, well, live and---sometimes---learn.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So glad that did the trick, it pays to just do these steps so that you won't have problems. It's all a learning experience! :)

Most reactions