What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I get back a "lost" app that's no longer in the App store?

catsaway9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My company has 10 iPad 2s that we've been using since August. One of the apps we like is Print to PDF. When we upgraded to iOS 5 recently, that app went away. (Actually, all the apps went away but we were able to download the others again from the App store.) I did some research and found a notice on the Print to PDF website that the app is no longer available in the App store, but that you can continue to use it if you already have it. (I'm not allowed to post the link, but it's just Print to PDF dot com.)

Since it isn't in the App store, does anyone know of a way to get it back? We did pay for it, but it's not listed with our purchased apps.

We've only had time to upgrade about half of our 10 iPads, so some of them are still running the old iOS and still show Print to PDF as one of their apps. Is there a way to save it before upgrading the last few iPads, and then put it back on all the iPads?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you look in the Purchased tab of the App Store, sometimes a discontinued app will still be available there. A few of mine are, anyway.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that somehow this app was removed from the iTunes account to which your iPads are synced ... ?

Try taking one of the iPads that has that app and connect it to iTunes. Then, left click on the iPad line (in the left column) and select "transfer purchases." iTunes and the iPad should talk and that app should be transferred over to iTunes.

Then, you should be able to connect the other iPads to iTunes and sync that app over to them.

This all should work - but no guarantees. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contact iTunes with the receipt number from your purchase and they wii repost it to your account. If you don't know the receipt number tell them your best recollection as to when it was downloaded. Hey did this recently for a movie "Shaun of the dead" for me.

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This isn't a direct reply to the OP's question, but it is *relevent* to the app they are talking about.

Besides being removed by Apple, the Print to PDF app stopped working with iOS5. (Which is likely why it 'disappeared' from any iOS4 devices that were upgraded to iOS5. The upgrade process doesn't migrate any apps that will no longer work on the new OS)

Anyway, although the app is gone, there apparently is a workaround to enabling it to run on iOS5 if you previously purchased it, as linked to by a helpful IPF member.

[Warning: The workaround isn't pretty]

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/58396-print-pdf-ios-5-workaround.html

Most reactions

Latest posts