What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone Skype with video on the iPad2?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question on Skype: does the Ipad 2 have a microphone for calls?

If you hold the iPad2 in landscape and the home button is on the right, the microphone is on the left edge, behind it, in the middle.

Jeanwales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it works well for me. I was away from my husband last week and we managed to video skype every night apart from one - not sure if it was my ipad2 at fault or his airbook or just the line but we couldn't connect.

The Walrus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but its really not very good, unfortunately. You are basically looking at an iPhone app that they enlarged to fit so it is very granular and pixelated.

Yes, so I have noticed; and in some instances its difficult to navigate.
Hopefully the true IPAD app will be released soon.

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I've used video chat on my iPad 2 without problem, both domestically and overseas.
Further questions on use of Skype on IPad 2. I understand that Skype works to make audio and video calls on an IPad 2. Does it also work on an IPad? Does it work via a regular phone cellular connection as opposed to a Wifi connection, on the IPad 2? On the IPad? Another question: which version of Skype should one install? Is there a Skype version specifically for the IPad 2? Or do you use the IPhone version? Where is the best place to go to get Skype for use on the IPad 2? Thanks in advance and apologies for the dumb questions. P.S. can you copy your response to my email address [email protected]? Thanks again in advance.

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I've used video chat on my iPad 2 without problem, both domestically and overseas.
Further questions on use of Skype on IPad 2. I understand that Skype works to make audio and video calls on an IPad 2. Does it also work on an IPad? Does it work via a regular phone cellular connection as opposed to a Wifi connection, on the IPad 2? On the IPad? Another question: which version of Skype should one install? Is there a Skype version specifically for the IPad 2? Or do you use the IPhone version? Where is the best place to go to get Skype for use on the IPad 2? Thanks in advance and apologies for the dumb questions. P.S. can you copy your response to my email address [email protected]? Thanks again in advance.
Apologies, another follow-up question. Does Skype work on IPad 2 in Europe too on a regular cell connection as opposed to Wifi.

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does Skype Work on IPad 2 (and IPad)

Apologies for these dumb questions on use of Skype on IPad 2. I understand that Skype works to make audio and video calls on an IPad 2. Does it work via a regular phone cellular connection as opposed to a Wifi connection, on the IPad 2? On the IPad?
Another question: which version of Skype should one install? Is there a Skype version specifically for the IPad 2? Or do you use the IPhone version? Where is the best place to go to get Skype for use on the IPad 2? Thanks in advance and apologies for the dumb questions. P.S. can you copy your response to my email address [email protected]?

Also: Does Skype work on IPad 2 in Europe on a regular cell connection as opposed to Wifi?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to IPF, patenlaw.

You have scattered this question in different places around the forum, which is not permitted. Cross-posting in this way just causes duplication and confusion.

I've merged your questions into this thread, where they belong.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me Skype works fine, but one minor issue. When I hold the Ipad on my lap the camera is pointed upwards towards my face. Leaving my double chin exposed.

Maybe I can sell the double chin in China.......

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies for these dumb questions on use of Skype on IPad 2. I understand that Skype works to make audio and video calls on an IPad 2. Does it work via a regular phone cellular connection as opposed to a Wifi connection, on the IPad 2? On the IPad?
Another question: which version of Skype should one install? Is there a Skype version specifically for the IPad 2? Or do you use the IPhone version? Where is the best place to go to get Skype for use on the IPad 2? Thanks in advance and apologies for the dumb questions. P.S. can you copy your response to my email address [email protected]?

Also: Does Skype work on IPad 2 in Europe on a regular cell connection as opposed to Wifi?

Yes - Skype (video or just audio) works perfectly in Europe over a 3G connection - I use it all the time.

Tim

smarkow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but its really not very good, unfortunately. You are basically looking at an iPhone app that they enlarged to fit so it is very granular and pixelated.

I agree completely. I just got my ipad2 yesterday (woo hoo!) and downloaded the Skype app. It was definitely very pixelated and somewhat choppy. I only made one video call, but it was not anywhere close to as clear as when using my PC.

That said, it gets the job done.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

International? Now that's real nice to know. I use Skype to Italy every day although I just figured there would be some strange nuance with the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts