What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can an ipad connect to NETWORK storage

molk958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can an ipad connect to NETWORK storage, such as wifi hard drive without using the internet browser?
I no that it can use safari to view and download files using FTP from a network drive, however is there and ap (store or cydia) that allows you to mount the drive, manipulate the contents and use it as you might on a pc?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
molk958 said:
Can an ipad connect to NETWORK storage, such as wifi hard drive without using the internet browser?
I no that it can use safari to view and download files using FTP from a network drive, however is there and ap (store or cydia) that allows you to mount the drive, manipulate the contents and use it as you might on a pc?

You can use FileBrowser. It opens files from all devices attached to your wifi network. It also opens many file types for reading video, mp3, .doc, .txt, jpeg. You can't modify then though...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does FileBrowser allow you to enter a name / password to access a remote computer on my network? Reason I'm asking is my server is picky and only allows sharing if I set up Windows with a login password.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the_john said:
Does FileBrowser allow you to enter a name / password to access a remote computer on my network? Reason I'm asking is my server is picky and only allows sharing if I set up Windows with a login password.

Yes it does. If you want more information go to their site.

It's a good habit when shopping apps to visit the Developer Web Site straight from the AppStore. You get the appropriate informations and even the opportunity to view the app manuals.

Khanandranii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of downloading filebrowser. I have A WD My Book World. I want accses files on it from my ipad. I was wondering when i download something From my NAS to my iapd is it doing it remotley via the internet or just over my wifi network? If i'm not at home i want to do it via the internet but if i'm at home i don't want to chew up my download usage.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Second Ivans advice.
Always cast an eye over the dev's site before you commit.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Khanandranii said:
I'm thinking of downloading filebrowser. I have A WD My Book World. I want accses files on it from my ipad. I was wondering when i download something From my NAS to my iapd is it doing it remotley via the internet or just over my wifi network? If i'm not at home i want to do it via the internet but if i'm at home i don't want to chew up my download usage.

With FileBrowser, the access to your NAS is directly on your wifi network and it's very fast. It acts as a secondary drive.

OP
M

molk958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant solution, filebrowser is definately the option, thanks alot

nickolasz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you open media files with buzz media player via the file browser app???

Thanks

nick

dericteur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For opening movie files from network shares, I can recommend Oplayer, it can both stream and download movies (including formats not supported by apple)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For anybody with a QNAP NAS device they have an app to allow connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts