What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connector Kit

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Months after buying it, I just began using a Camera Connector Kit to connect a USB, smaller but full size for easy typing, keyboard to the iPad 2 and, despite the initial message that the attachment doesn't work, it works fine and, together with the Pages APP. makes a lightweight writing tool, I E-mailing a copy of my writing to myself for safeguard until I can get it into the body of the work on my laptop at home. The iPad is a great business tool.

I was just wondering what else can be connected with the Camera Connector Kit. If one hooks up an SD card or camera connector, do the files automatically get uploaded to the iPad? Incidentally, I also tried a flexible, silicone USB keyboard and that worked fine too despite the warning of no attachment. Thanks to all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you use the Camera Connection Kit with a SD card, your iPad will automatically show the pictures in your Photo app. There you're able to import and delete them from the SD card after importing.
With a camera it will work the same, only difference: the camera has to be turned on. Not all types of cameras are supported, afaik. It works with Canon (I use this camera).

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Months after buying it, I just began using a Camera Connector Kit to connect a USB, smaller but full size for easy typing, keyboard to the iPad 2 and, despite the initial message that the attachment doesn't work, it works fine and, together with the Pages APP. makes a lightweight writing tool, I E-mailing a copy of my writing to myself for safeguard until I can get it into the body of the work on my laptop at home. The iPad is a great business tool.

I was just wondering what else can be connected with the Camera Connector Kit (CCK). If one hooks up an SD card or camera connector, do the files automatically get uploaded to the iPad? Incidentally, I also tried a flexible, silicone USB keyboard and that worked fine too despite the warning of no attachment. Thanks to all.

Hello - intrigued by you being able to use a USB keyboard (KB) on the iPad 2 (previous thread HERE on this forum w/ a similar experience) - I use Apple's Bluetooth KB w/ my iPad2.

The CCK for the iPad 2 has two components w/ the 30-pin dock, one for an SD card & the other for a USB connection, as you know. Both are meant to be used w/ a digital camera - image files can be added to a SD card (under the DCIM folder & in the proper 8.3 file context) and may be imported into the iPad (I've done this and a number of threads here have discussed the issue); now I've never tried a USB thumb drive on the CCK USB connector, but might work w/ the proper folder & file label?

NOW, for other USB devices to work? Not suppose to happen, so I'd be curious if others have given this a try - probably in part will depend on the type of USB KB (e.g. power needed)? Also, I'm assuming that you have a 'stock' iPad 2 (not one that is jailbroken?); of course, the other considerations would be whether all iPad models will behave the same and whether the new iOS (7.0.2) supports this connection? - Dave :)

Jacobz06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, I have been unable to charge the battery through the CCK, using a powered USB hub with high power charging outlets. I assume the CCK does not allow power through to the iPad. I am using the iPad as a MIDI sound source with a Casio keyboard and would like to charge the battery at the same time. Anyone had any success in this regard?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So far, I have been unable to charge the battery through the CCK, using a powered USB hub with high power charging outlets. I assume the CCK does not allow power through to the iPad. I am using the iPad as a MIDI sound source with a Casio keyboard and would like to charge the battery at the same time. Anyone had any success in this regard?

Hello Jacob... - the CCK is meant for two purposes: 1) Accept a SD card from a digital camera (card formatted w/ a DCIM folder w/ images in an 8.3 format); or 2) USB connection to a digital camera for the same purpose. I suspect the power provided by the iPad dock is minimal to allow for those two options - you're not going to get an added function of charging a battery, just not in the hardware or the dock configuration, as far as I know - sorry. NOW, the fact that some of these other connections (such as a USB keyboard) seem to work for some befuddles me - i.e. not suppose to occur - but just my 2 cents - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts