What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit

Wexfordlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 16gb iPad 2 (and love it!!). However, due to the limited memory I also purchased a camera connection kit, thinking that I could store photos and videos on SD cards that I could carry with me. This has worked a treat for photos - I've simply connected the camera kit, inserted the SD card and a message appears on my iPad screen asking which photo's I want to import.
I have not been as successful with video's. These are video's that I've ripped from DVDs using Handbrake. As far as I can make out (I'm not extremely technical) all are in MPEG 4 format with a file extension of .M4v (I have used the iPad Preset in Handbrake when ripping). When I put the SD card into the camera kit nothing happens (or at least there is no message on the iPad screen). Would anyone have any idea's on where I'm going wrong or even if I should be able to read the video formats in the first place?

thanks

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can only get DVD's/M4v movies into the Video directory by using iTunes

OP
W

Wexfordlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That means I'd need to store them on the iPad hard drive rather than being able to keep them on the SD cards - is that right?
I thought the camera kit said it could be used for photos and videos.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only if the video was made/shot from the camera can it be transferred to the ipad by the camera kit

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm on second thought I think there might be a way to trick the ipad to let you view the DVD/s on the SD Card. Give me a few and let me try something. My camera battery is dead so I need to charge it first.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That means I'd need to store them on the iPad hard drive rather than being able to keep them on the SD cards - is that right?
I thought the camera kit said it could be used for photos and videos.

Hi Wexfordlady - welcome to the forum! :)

Well, might still be an 'iffy' possibility - check THIS LINK for a suggested solution but not a guarantee, I guess.

Now I own the CCK and have easily imported many still images and a few videos made from my digital camera, so the latter for getting videos onto the iPad certainly works; these files are stored in the DCIM folder of the camera's SD card (which is the one needed w/ the CCK) - I have put images from my computer into this folder and have been able to import them (labeling may be an issue, though?) - have not tried videos, but take a look at the link and decide if you want to give it a try.

Others who may have been successful may 'chime in' - and if the steps in the article work for you, please report back; this is likely a common desire of many - good luck!

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I was able to do it but be warned because of the format the ipad needs to see the DVD files on the SD Card the quality of the movie is real bad. How I did it. 1st, when you rip the DVD it has to be ripped to the .MOV format and the file must have a name the ipad will see. How I found out. I shot a small sample video with my camera and then looked at what name my camera gave the file "100_1056.MOV" The next sample video I shot was named "100_1057.MOV So, if you put movies on SD cards they MUST be in the directory your camera creates when it shots a video and the names must be in order like

100_1057.MOV
100_1058.MOV
100_1059.MOV
100_1060.MOV

and so on. Means you will not be able to give your movie custom names as the ipad will see them.

Hope this helps

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Was able to copy a .mv4 from the SDCard to the ipad but it has to be in the file format name the camera gives the file.

Such as
100_1057.M4V
100_1058.M4V
100_1059.M4V
100_1060.M4V

And so on

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Randy - thanks for your efforts! :thumbs:

As stated, I've put still photos on the camera's SD card and had to re-label them w/ special numbering too - kind of a PITA! So, I suspected that trying to get movies onto the iPad in that fashion would be a similar pain - let's cross our fingers for improvements in the next iOS release (or the next iPad)? :D

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Randy - thanks for your efforts! :thumbs:

As stated, I've put still photos on the camera's SD card and had to re-label them w/ special numbering too - kind of a PITA! So, I suspected that trying to get movies onto the iPad in that fashion would be a similar pain - let's cross our fingers for improvements in the next iOS release (or the next iPad)? :D

I'm with you there.

TaildraggerJ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I connect my camera to my Camera Kit, it will download pics into the pad, but then my camera won't read the card until I reformat it in a computer. Anyone else had that kind of trouble?

Most reactions

Latest posts