What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit and file transfer advice

Jon_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've been an iPad user for a while after owning both gens but only recently got into buying some accessories.

Yesterday, I bought the camera connection kit but have been suffering some problems:

1. I have a SD card which is permanently write protected (the tab snapped off in the lock position), this is no problem as the data on the card are things I will not delete. However, the connection reports the card as damaged even though my iMac reads it fine. Is this normal?

2. I have another card with 5 m4v files on (handbraked dvds) and upon connecting to the iPad, it only shows 1 file (displaying only a time duration, no title). Has anyone suffered this problem?

Just to clarify, all the photos and m4v files are inside a DCIM folder on the cards root level. The m4v files definitely work on the iPad when imported from iTunes.

Final question, regarding file transfer, are there any apps to allow photos, mp3s and m4v files to be transferred from the iPad to my mac? I mean files I've made from cps, dvds, etc (not iTunes purchases). I recall (years ago) using some a small piece of windows software that allowed the 2nd gen iPod to transfer mp3 to Pc. Looking for something similar for mac and iPad.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
J

Jon_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to rename the video files to resemble how a camera would name them (e.g. DSCF0001, etc). I realised the 1 file that was visible had a title of 8 letters (Rounders) so it met the criteria of the file name requirements. I just renamed them all DSCF0001-10 etc and they worked perfectly. I'm not overly sure about the 'damaged media' warning, I managed to unlock the card (by moving the remnants of the tab with a pin) and reformatted it to fat and it worked fine, even after write protecting. The was the case with the other SD card also. The thing that confuses me was both cards were already FAT formatted.

Happy it works now. The only slightly downside is the files are imported to the photo app and when using the digital AV adapter they are displayed full screen on my TV instead of having the horizontal black borders. Whereas in the movies app they display correctly, not a problem as I'll just use my 360 for viewing them on TV.

OP
J

Jon_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered why I was getting the 'contents unavailable - media could be damaged' error. It appears that if the SD card is inserted into the iPad whilst write enabled it will not work when write protected on future attempts without reformatting. Seems a bit odd.

Most reactions