What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit + Jailbreak = cheap video storage!

168matchking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jumping in late, but if anybody is still there...Im having a terrible time with ipad crashing after a few minutes of being connected to desktop HD. At first I thought it was a spin down issue with HD. Now I think it has something to do with ifile. Any help is greatly appreciated.

cayleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad mini 16 gig 3G + 16 gig sd card:)

So movies, music, pictures can all be played off sd card
Also comic books and PDFs - but your reader app will launch
And you can copy winterboard files too!
I use unlimited video downloader to get videos then ifile to move them to sd card
Love this setup!

iPad mini jailbroken
Ifile
Unlimited video downloader
Sd camera kit= big smiles image.jpg

168matchking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im starting to see the value of the sd card. You have managed to turn a 16g ipad into a 32g! My end goal is to DJ and so Im on a mission to be able to access mass storage for song selection. I have read numerous reports of success in this matter, yet seem to be stuck on this technical issue/glitch. I guess ifile works fine for me until I hook up the dest top hard drive. After reading this thread, I put some songs on an sd, and it worked longer, but then ifile froze (didn't crash iPad). So in the process of elimination, to me, it comes down to a glitchy ifile or my cheap (and I mean cheap) 30 pin connector. I will spring for the "golden" apple connector if it is the issue. Just hoping somebody can shed some light before I let go of the $.

rockyburton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my camera connection kit today and was extremely eager to find out what I could do with it with a jailbroken iPad, the results are extremely pleasing.

Basically, I've determined that iFile will read the card just as if it were part of the internal file system so everything you can do with iFile on normal files still applies. That means image and video playback straight from the SD card without having to transfer first!

I was also interested in finding out what class of SD would be required to play video straight from the card. I have determined that measley class 2 cards are absolutely fine for this task. I had bought a more expensive Class 6 32GB card - this obviously had no problems with video but the same tests on an old 2GB class 2 card also went fine.

For test clips, I was re-encoding a 2 minute chunk of Avatar at 1024x576. I chose this resolution as it matches the iPad screen resolution so no up or down scaling is done. I endcoded at AVC Level 3.1 (max bitrate 14,000kbps) at various average bitrates. The Class 6 and Class 2 cards were both doing fine up to 8.5mbps average at which point I stopped testing as this bitrate is definitely overkill for the iPad display size and the picture looked amazing.

So in summary, if you're jailbroken (and there really is no reason at all why you shouldn't be) and you were wondering if the camera kit could solve your iPad storage issues - it can. I now only have to take a few tiny SD cards on holiday with me and I will have 32+32+8 (sd cards) + 16 (iPad) = 88gb of storage for movies/tv episodes in mp4 format.

To get ifile to read your sd/USB devices simply connect them to the ipad, wait for the error message and ok it. Launch ifile and browse to /var/mnt/mount1 and you will then be looking at the contents of your sd/USB device.

Hi, I am using a camera connection kit with a sd slot. I insert my sd card containing my films, open ifile which shows all the files in their mp4 format. unfortunatly when i click on one it gives me the option to open using either video player or download HD (not vlc or oplayer even though I have both installed) if i click on video player is opens the player and starts playing the film (i cannot see or hear the film but can see the progress bar moving along. However is simply stated tv connected, the video is being played on the tv.....there is no tv connected, please help its driving me mad, ive been searching you tube and the internet for hours and everyone states open the files as I have done and should work but i keep getting told its playing on the tv Arghhhh any help would be greatly appreciated.
mmany thanks,

Most reactions

Latest posts