What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera card downloading

tc_rain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to apple products so my knowledge is very limited here. I have thought about getting aniPad for travel to mainly surf the web and watch movies. However, I would also like the ability to view pictures I have taken. I have an Olympus camera that uses the XD camera cards and from the few posts I have read so far, this appears it might be a problem. I understand I could get the apple camera connection kit and use the usb port with a card reader but I have read several posts where they mention there is a problem with the power at the usb and the card will not download. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this? Would it make a difference if I just plugged the camera into the usb instead of using the card reader? Is there some type of work-around out there where I could make it work? Unfortunately this might be a deal breaker if I can’t come up with something.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know how the cck works with XD cards, so I won't speak to that.

Another option to explore is using an air stash +. Check it out on amazon. You can put your card in this and then read and save your pictures from it. You can also store and watch movies from it. It is wireless to your iPad, but it has an sd card reader and a USB port. Works with camera cards, and in you laptop or pc. Lasts 8 hrs on a charge. Easy to recharge and is lightweight.

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a camera connection device for about $20 on ebay. The iPad will automatically import the images as soon as you plug it in. It accepts all types of cards, and also USB, but the file folder must only contain image files or it get confused.
image-3054438242.jpg

baxlobs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a camera connection device for about $20 on ebay. The iPad will automatically import the images as soon as you plug it in. It accepts all types of cards, and also USB, but the file folder must only contain image files or it get confused.
View attachment 26547

I think you will find that adaptor will NOT accept XD cards, they are much smaller than SD MMC etc. I have a similar problem as my camera uses SDHC cards and my wife's uses XD.

However all the OP needs to do is attach his camera to the Apple Camera connection kit using the camera to USB cable which all cameras come with. The iPad will see the pictures on the camera's card and download them.

This worked with my wife's camera and iPad.

OP
T

tc_rain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you will find that adaptor will NOT accept XD cards, they are much smaller than SD MMC etc. I have a similar problem as my camera uses SDHC cards and my wife's uses XD.

However all the OP needs to do is attach his camera to the Apple Camera connection kit using the camera to USB cable which all cameras come with. The iPad will see the pictures on the camera's card and download them.

This worked with my wife's camera and iPad.

Great, that is what I was wanting to hear. Do you know if it will just allow you to copy the pictures without moving them from the card? I would just like to view them while on vacation and download them from the card to my desktop when I get home.

OP
T

tc_rain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how the cck works with XD cards, so I won't speak to that.

Another option to explore is using an air stash +. Check it out on amazon. You can put your card in this and then read and save your pictures from it. You can also store and watch movies from it. It is wireless to your iPad, but it has an sd card reader and a USB port. Works with camera cards, and in you laptop or pc. Lasts 8 hrs on a charge. Easy to recharge and is lightweight.

Wow, never seen or heard of one of these. It looks like it will only work with an SD card and not the XD card but I can see many other uses for this. Thanks.

baxlobs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great, that is what I was wanting to hear. Do you know if it will just allow you to copy the pictures without moving them from the card? I would just like to view them while on vacation and download them from the card to my desktop when I get home.

It just copies the photos I think, there may be an option to delete them from the camera or not, I can't remember for certain.

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera connection device copies the photos to your iPad after it shows you a screen with icons of all your photos, and you select the ones you want. It then asks you if you'd like to delete any photos from the card/stick/usb/camera. All very simple.

OP
T

tc_rain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update; I got the Ipad3 yesterday and the camera connection kit. I pluged the camera (not a card reader) into the USB port of the connection kit and the pictures downloaded just like I wanted. After the download it asked if I wanted to delete the transfered pictures from the camera. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the responses so i wouldn't have to waste several hundred dollars on something that wouldn't work the way I wanted it to.

Most reactions

Latest posts