What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying an ipad from the us to use in the uk

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it works out cheaper to import an iPad from the us to the uk? I worked it out to be just under £400 included tax. Does this seem right ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which model are your referring to 16, 32 or 64 GB and WiFi or 3G?

If you're buying the 3G you need to be aware that the Verizon iPad2 has the CDMA chipset that won't work in the UK, so you'll need to be sure to get an AT&T model.

You'll need to get a power outlet adaptor too, though they're easily available at all Apple Stores.

Although there has been a pretty strong indication that Apple will be charging the same in the UK for the iPad2 that they originally charged for the iPad1, I have yet to see any definitive statement - you might want to wait to see what the actual costs are going to be.

Tim
Scotland

Isla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My dad got me mine from the US ( ipad1) and it was £100 cheaper but apparently the warranty is only valid in the USA. It is wifi only. I have been using the charger with an adaptor and it's fine. I have a uk iPhone and was wondering if I used that charger on the iPad would it be ok?

Kevmal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Isla, the iPad comes with a worldwide guarantee. I bought mine in the US and recently had it repaired in Europe under guarantee.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd confirm what Kevmal said - all Apple products have a world-wide guarantee and I've never had any problem having an Apple product repaired under warranty. My son lives on the US West Coast, so I often buy Apple products there.

If you use an iPhone charger to charge the iPad it will charge very slowly and will display the 'Not Charging' message. The iPhone (and other USB) charger can only muster 500 mA (½ amp) whereas the charger supplied with the iPad charges at 2A (2 amps). However, there's no problem charging the iPhone with the iPad charger - the extra charging capacity of the iPad charger won't 'damage' the iPhone, the iPhone takes what it wants from the charger, the charger is not 'force feeding' the iPhone.

Tim
Scotland

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered mine from the US store, for use in Belgium. As for price, if you acn still get free shipping, it might work out for you.

Tim

dghberkley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Your reply was excellent. I have a pad and phone and wondered if I could save taking some pieces on the road when traveling. Based on your post, I can get by by taking just the pad charger and cord and a dock to firefly adapter and use the 110 volt outlet in our Ford Flex to keep both topped up. Thanks from one Scot to another, although I now reside in the USA

Most reactions

Latest posts