What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Ipad in UK

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i have brought an ipad (Wifi) in the US and i aim to use it in the uk. Will it work via an adaptor plug. Also will it function normally if i use it in the UK such as when downloading apps.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There won't be a problem. Just get the local 240 volt charger and you'll be good to go. The iPad doesn't care what the supplied voltage is. The charger will step it down to the correct voltage necessary.

OP
eatmyshorts

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There won't be a problem. Just get the local 240 volt charger and you'll be good to go. The iPad doesn't care what the supplied voltage is. The charger will step it down to the correct voltage necessary.

Oh ok thanks.
I've got the US Plug. So a HTC plug for USBs or an adaptor that converts US plugs into UK sockets would both work?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I use a Belkin power bar here in Canada that has a couple of USB outlets. It charges my iPad no problem. For as much as they cost, I would just buy the British iPad charger from Apple in the UK.

OP
eatmyshorts

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I use a Belkin power bar here in Canada that has a couple of USB outlets. It charges my iPad no problem. For as much as they cost, I would just buy the British iPad charger from Apple in the UK.

Pretty expensive from apple though. Wouldn't a plug with usb outlets suffice?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty expensive from apple though. Wouldn't a plug with usb outlets suffice?

Yes. It should work. As Colin says, there are differences in the supplied amperage. You won't do any damage by trying different ones, but iPhone/iPod chargers won't supply enough power to charge the iPad at the correct rate. If you plug it in and the charging symbol doesn't show, just try another one. Radio shack or Tandy (whatever they call themselves these days) should be able to supply something that will work.

OP
eatmyshorts

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. It should work. As Colin says, there are differences in the supplied amperage. You won't do any damage by trying different ones, but iPhone/iPod chargers won't supply enough power to charge the iPad at the correct rate. If you plug it in and the charging symbol doesn't show, just try another one. Radio shack or Tandy (whatever they call themselves these days) should be able to supply something that will work.

What about if i used the US charger but used an adaptor with it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could try it, but I'd want to make sure the UK adapter step the voltage down to 110, instead of just adapting the pins.

OP
eatmyshorts

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try it, but I'd want to make sure the UK adapter step the voltage down to 110, instead of just adapting the pins.

No it just adapts the pins, its not a step down transformer. Would that be a major problem?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be. It will probably fry the transformer in the Apple charger. I wouldn't risk it.

Most reactions

Latest posts