What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy iPad 3 or iPad 2?

huayangnianhua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that the iPad 3 is becoming more and more popular, but there are also many friends choose to apple iPad 2... one of my friends who haven't used ipad want to buy one, and she asked me if she should buy iPad 2 or iPad 3... i really have little idea about this, so please help... that you very much!

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Horses for courses. If you can afford the top of the range iPad 3 - 64GB with 4G & monthly data contract - then that's the one to go for. If your friends can't afford that then the iPad 2, wifi only 16GB, is still a brilliant tablet.

thespinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a comment I made in my review of the new iPad on my blog which I think sums the decision up:

"If you currently don’t own an iPad or own an original iPad your choice is a new iPad or a 16GB iPad 2. Comparing the 16GB models costs are £399 for the new iPad vs £329 for the iPad 2 (or £289 from the Apple Refurbished Store). Put simply you pay an extra £70 (or £110 refurbished) for the retina display and a better camera. If you want more storage than 16GB then your choice for a new iPad is the new iPad (bearing in mind the 1080p video capability which will take up more space, you may consider 32GB entry level)"

The above UK costs can easily be translated by visiting the online Apple store in your country. In the US, if you're considering a 4G iPad then this adds to the cost, but would also be a benefit.

Having said the above a friend was using my new iPad last week and is considering a new iPad rather than an iPad 2 based on the screen - it is that good.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason to buy an iPad 2 is because you don't want to spend what it costs to buy the new iPad. Nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking of recommending my dad to buy an iPad 2 and use the extra to get applecare+.

rockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you wont care about the retina display on the new ipad and the 5MP iSight camera better go with ipad 2. But note that Ipad 2 charges about 3h at 10% while the new iPAd more than doubled its charging time because of the huge 42.5 WH battery to power the A5x and the LCD.

ryanlawrence171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hbiphonelabs.com
Few simply step to buy any new gadget.
1) Go to online compare iPad 2 and iPad 3 features
2) Lookout both reviews on review websites
3) Also check the function which suit your requirement
4) Ask to your friend who use iPad
5) Decide your budget and personal requirement for iPad
After finding the all answer of this entire 5 step, you don’t need to any suggestion.

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in the same situation last week. Not sure if you have a Best Buy where you live, but, I went to one and loaded up a web page with very small fonts on both iPads side-by-side and the iPad 3 is MUCH sharper and easier on the eyes.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have to agree with you. The screen is certainly easier on the eye. I wear glasses nowadays and anything that makes reading my pad is good for me. Totally loving this new iPad.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy the best you can. The iPad 3 is obviously the one to go for and will probably be out of date within a year.

Sent from my iPad 3

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course the New iPad will be replaced with the New(er) iPad in a year, that's the model cycle and that is why they stopped the numbering system. There is no iPad3 and there will be no iPad4 either.

iAdammTM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it depends if you have the money? If you don't mind spending that little more buy the iPad 3 :L the CPU shows it's better on the 2 in most cases* or just on par so CPU shouldn't sway your decision but the camera on the 3 is a thousand times better than the 2, apple really did just slap a crap camera in the 2. But you shouldn't buy an iPad for the camera anyway it's not there to replace your DSLR or phone to be fair, really it's down to the display which isn't really that noticeable, the iPad 2 is a little pixelated but it still looks great. It's just down to the money or your image it's nice to say you have the iPad 3 but it's nice to have an iPad anyway. I didn't see a major difference between them both the 3 just looks a lot more colourful and less pixelated.

Have a play in the apple shop and see what you think then and if you don't see a visual difference save you self a few quid and go for the 2 :)

* http://www.redmondpie.com/a5-vs.-a5...-benchmarked-the-winner-is-rather-surprising/

Last edited:

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the camera in the iPad 3 is poor really. In low light it's grainy and so is the video. In daylight though it's great. My iPhone 4s performs lots better in low Light though.

Sent from my iPad 3

iAdammTM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
I think the camera in the iPad 3 is poor really. In low light it's grainy and so is the video. In daylight though it's great. My iPhone 4s performs lots better in low Light though.

Sent from my iPad 3

The iPad 3 is only a 5MP and no flash so it won't be very good in low light, and the 4S has an 8MP camera with optics that gather more light, there's no comparison between them...

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i went to best buy and i played with both the new ipad 3 and ipad2 to me the screen was even.but the new ipad 3 was faster loading web sites and stuff. if apple supported the ipad 2 for anoter 2 years i will buy it but i think iam buying then ew piad 3

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts