What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy iBooks on iPad and iTunes??

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will we be able to purchase iBooks on iTunes? Or are we stuck buying them on the iPad? Not interesting in reading them on my computer and not expecting to, but it would be nice to browse the iBook catalog in iTunes and purchase them just like apps.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes I have already downloaded a free book, must say the interface is sort of weird, hope it is just the pc I am using at work.

OP
kilofox

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes I have already downloaded a free book, must say the interface is sort of weird, hope it is just the pc I am using at work.

I saw some books... however I think those "books" are not iPad books. But rather book/apps meant for iTouch and iPhone.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
oh, will have to wait and see, but I sure hope you can slog through the iBooks catalog on a pc.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think there is currently away to buy books from the iBook Store other than on the iPad. For now at least, Apple seems to be treating it as separate entity from the iTunes Store. I have to believe that this functionality is coming, along with an ebook reader for iTunes. Time will tell...

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my MacBook there is a new category under Library in iTunes called books, that is not on my pc, will have to down load iBooks to the Macbook and see if the books are put in there.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I added a few of my ebooks to iTunes and yes that is where they show up. That is also where audiobooks are put. If there is a way from there into the iBooks Store, I haven't found it. Let us know what you find.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my MacBook there is a new category under Library in iTunes called books, that is not on my pc, will have to down load iBooks to the Macbook and see if the books are put in there.
If you've installed the new iTunes on your PC, you'll have to go in iTunes to your preferences and tick the items you wish to see on the iTunes front page.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you click the Books icon in Libraries you get a comment about syncing to iPad to read a book.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you click the Books icon in Libraries you get a comment about syncing to iPad to read a book.
Do you have any ebooks or audiobooks in your library? I think you only get that message if you don't have any books yet. When I click on books I see my audiobooks and the non DRMed epub ebooks that I have already loaded into iTunes.

ipadowner123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to sort through books?

I am new to Apple products and am trying to find ebooks to buy (not audio books). The iTunes interface for this seems lacking any sort of categorization, even the most basic category of language.

I enabled Column Browser but the only subcategory shown is All.

Am I doing something wrong or is there no way to sort through the 1800+ ebooks on iTunes?

Thanks!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to know what you want to shop for first. In the search engine you can write a book type, an author or a title. It's the only quick way.

Amazon is a little better in this respect.

ipadowner123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to know what you want to shop for first. In the search engine you can write a book type, an author or a title. It's the only quick way.

iVan,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to just browse what was available, but as you say that is not very quick and easy to do. I also learned that the books available on iTunes are really just Apps, and not more traditional eBooks (PDF).

So yea, looks like books is not a strong suit of iTunes.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

iVan,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to just browse what was available, but as you say that is not very quick and easy to do. I also learned that the books available on iTunes are really just Apps, and not more traditional eBooks (PDF).

So yea, looks like books is not a strong suit of iTunes.
Shop with iBooks instead.

Most reactions

Latest posts