What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Your Own Cloud on Home Network

cwbabcock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been thinking about plugging an external hard drive into my home network and use it as my personal cloud to where I can access it through the internet where ever I have wi-fi or 3G. Has anyone done this? I just bought and device from Addonics that has a USB port and an eithernet port for that purpose.

Chuck
Santa Clarita, CA

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any decent NAS box will do this if you want. My Qnap is certainly capable of it but I have no reason to use it this way.
Dropbox gives me 2GB free and iCloud will give me another 5GB and I really can't see needing to have instant access to anything like that amount of personal data while not at home.

OP
C

cwbabcock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and did it anyway. I bought an Addonics NAS 3.0 Adapter and hooked up an external 750gb hard drive to my home network. I can now access that drive from my ipad 2. Now I can put my music, videos and movies and photos on that drive and access it from the iPad.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and did it anyway. I bought an Addonics NAS 3.0 Adapter and hooked up an external 750gb hard drive to my home network. I can now access that drive from my ipad 2. Now I can put my music, videos and movies and photos on that drive and access it from the iPad.

Good job! I heard that you had to be a scientist to install one of these. :)

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
................... and I really can't see needing to have instant access to anything like that amount of personal data while not at home.
:)

i know where your coming from, but in theses days of identity theft coupled with instant upload to YouTube and Facebook etc. i can see it becoming a normal trend.

nearly all take pictures/video's of family moments and naturally like to share with trusted friends, but if you loose your phone then you could be exposed to the risk of what was personal and private going internationally public.

by using cloud service or remotely accessed home NAS you can better prevent what could be embarrassing, while having the storage on your device available for new recordings, and one easy way to virtually increase any devices 'memory'.

alfredo12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, I've also been fiddling with the idea of having some home media cloud that might give me easier access to my media stuff and things like that.

Don't really wanna invest in new hardware for the moment. I've been looking though at some Audials Light software, they do mention it being able to also function as a personal media cloud that gets you easier access to movies, music etc. Maybe you guys also have some use for it and need to get yourself a media cloud without having to make new investments.

Most reactions

Latest posts