What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browse ibookstore without iPad

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't yet have an iPad but wanted to see what books where available on the ibook store and at what prices. Is there a way to do that without the ibook app? Can I get there from iTunes?

Sailorman

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, iBooks are only available through an iPad itself, not through iTunes on your computer. Although the actual iBook app is really a nice e-reader, I think you will find that Apple treats the iBook store as the red-headed stepchild. It just doesn't seem to be a high priority for them. The selection is pretty poor at present... and doesn't seem to be getting any better!

As far as selection, the incumbent is still Amazon. You can download the free Kindle app and anything you can read on an actual Kindle device, you can read on an iPad.

Barnes & Noble and Borders also have their own apps, but they still can't touch Amazon.

Another really great reader app is called Stanza. It is only a so-so reader, but there are links to several content providers within the app for both paid and free content. The #1 free content provider for public domain books is called Project Gutenberg with over 33,000 titles and can be accessed through Stanza.

One of the best all-around reading apps is called GoodReader... and it really is! It costs a whopping 99¢!

OP
S

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Does the Kindel App on the iPad read the Kindel purchased books in iBooks fashion or is it a totally different experience from iBooks? In other words, if I have a Kindel with several books, can I go to the iPad with the Kindel App and read those books as if they were books purchased from iBooks? Or would I be better off to go with GoodReader in your opinion?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The GoodReader app is only for "generic" electonic documents and for those purchased or acquired through one of the GoodReader content providers.

iBooks purchased through the iBook app can only be read on the iBook app.

Books purchased from Amazon can only be read on the Kindle app (or on a Kindle device or the Kindle for PC program) If you have already purchased books for your Kindle, you can read them on your iPad with the Kindle app, after you go to Amazon and authorize your iPad and link it to your account.

Personally, I purchase most of my books from Amazon because they have the best selection.

OP
S

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that information. You have been a big help.

Most reactions

Latest posts