What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brightness

Nameloc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I've owned an iPad 1 for just over 6 months however am only new to this forum. Can anyone explain what the auto-brightness button
does. I assumed that it would adjust the brightness level automatically however that has never worked for me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it should. When you refer to the auto-brightness button, are you referring to the setting in the iPad's 'Settings' app? Also, be careful you do not have the auto-brightness sensor covered. It's virtually invisible, but it's towards the top of the iPad case, on the front, in the centre of the screen and appears as a very slight lightening of the black border around the iPad screen. Some Members have even thought it was a fault in the colouring of the screen surround.

Tim

OP
N

Nameloc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Didn't realise that was the sensor. Took off my cover and brought it outside into sunshine and then back into dark room. No change. Any other suggestions?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say the auto brightness 'button' which one are you referring to?

Remember, too, that some apps can disable autobrigtness

Tim

OP
N

Nameloc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The button in Settings, Brightness and wallpaper, auto- brightness on / off.
I know what you mean about some apps but my problem is when I am in bright light I can't even see the home screen. I have to guess where things are and manually move the brightness tab up. Then I can actually see the machine.
Once I manually adjust everything is fine.
Then later when somewhere darker I need to manually adjust downwards.
I had hoped this could happen automatically

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right that the dynamic range of the auto-brightness is somewhat limited. Can you see any change at all, for example if you're in a dark room and then shine a torch at the sensor?

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts